Used 1999 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

bad truck
By Gen

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I own a 1999 f150 and I hate it. I bought a toyota tundra a few weeks ago and I'll never buy another ford. But my 99 ford broke everywhere week the back window leaked and tons of rust on it. I got terrible gas mileage I was lucky to get 8 mpg it was bad. I'd fix 1 thing then another thing would break. It had 128,000 miles on it. I'll never buy another ford I put 3 front ends on it I hated it. I just came to the point that I got tired of fixing it so like I said I went out and bought a toyota tundra and I love it.

Best Ford in the world
By Juan

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

We purchase the F-150 with 140,000 miles an know is over 220,000 miles an never rely had a problem only part we had to replace was an alternator, tires, and wiper blades. The F-150 still very original even has the original battery. The 4WD was amazing she could pass through the snow, and mud with no problem. Got amazing gas millage for a pickup, we could over 8 hours of driving without having to think were to stop for gas. Has the strong running 5.4(330) which is fun to drive around if you get what I mean. The box is pretty good size not to short or to long there is more space then some of the newer replacement. The F-150 was decent at towing you just may loose the good mpg other than that you will pull just find. We still have the F-150 but after 9 years of running strong she blew a sparkplug coil. We took it to get fix with our local mechanic and he end up making a big hole on the engine head so we now looking for an engine head to get it up an running.

Ford in Front
By john

1999 Ford F-150 XL 4dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought this truck in 02 with 55,000 miles, great looking, still get compliments. Runs great, 200,000 mi, only changed one coil pack and 2 alternators. Some cold weather knock as of late but thats been all. Very happy and will stay with Ford, although never had Chevy truck trouble either. 4WD works great, tows good, breaking with trailer less than optimal as rear drum breaks are on this truck.

Height of truck, stock 4x4 sits high and proud. Sounds great with cat converters only.

4 wheel disc on this model

Good truck
By Dan

1999 Ford F-150 Work 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck for cheap a little over 2 years ago, knowing it needed a rear end. I had that done, then the auto trans went out! It seems the previous owner had seriously abused the truck by pulling overweight trailers (10,000+ pounds!) for long distances. Recently, the V6 engine's intake manifold gasket leaked, allowing a cylinder to fill with coolant. When I tried to start it the next time, it hydro-locked and bent the rod. The engine's being rebuilt. This truck has over 260,000 miles on it, and it was abused by the previous owner for many of those miles. Considering what I paid for it, and it's now basically a completely new drivetrain, I feel like I got a decent deal.

Body is in good shape, and the interior is, if plain, pretty decent. It drives well, and handles very well on the highway.

Ford has fixed the problem with the intake gaskets, and the transmissions have been redesigned.

Hard truck to kill.
By Hybris

1999 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Great truck overall, it may not have the power or ride of the newer truck but in brute reliability this truck has done me well. Its a truck with a 2v 5.4 so good mileage is not a goal to reach for but I can hit 15 mpg if I baby it. In terms of power it still has lots of get up and go and will easily pull my 7900lb car carrier in the hills of Kansas. On maintenance it can be hard to do somethings like change out plugs because of how tight the engine bay is but otherwise its a good way for a beginning DIY person to learn how to work on a truck. The interior is in my experience indestructible save for the cloth seats which are a wear item anyway. I will never have a truck without Vinyl floors.

Good power, indestructible interior, reasonably easy to work on.

Wish I had gotten a late model 99 with four wheel disc brakes. Would also like to see frame mounted running boards or Nerf bars as a possible aftermarket accessory.

• SUV