1997 Ford Aspire 1.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - This Is An Unbelievable Car!!

1997 Ford Aspire - Consumer Review

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

This Is An Unbelievable Car!!
By Jeff Tranchina on

1997 Ford Aspire 2dr Hatchback

Put 70,000 miles on her in 5 years. Now sits at 145,000. This car is just unbelievable! 38-42 mpg CONSTANTLY. We live on the Big Island of Hawaii, where climate conditions, especially rain and humidity are severe. The car never misses a beat. Normal maintenance like alternator, tires, battery, etc. The 5-speed is crisp and quick. No electrical problems, ever, due to the simplicity. Ours was made by KIA. We can't kill this car, nor do we want to. Going to keep her until she dies! A/C never lets us down. Engine perfect, and burns NO oil (I change oil every 3,000 miles). Geckos live in the car (can't keep them out), as do other creatures, but the car is friendly to all. Highly recommended!

Favorite Features

Ice cold A/C that never needs attention; most comfortable seats I've ever been on (I'm 250 pounds) and I've had expensive Euro cars; turn-key reliability, always! Strong powertrain (5-speed); The hatchback allows carrying of large loads of work materials, like 12-foot lumber hanging out of rear! Wow!!

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had the power steering option; Alternator belt requires adjustment every 2000 miles (Hawaiian climate?). Pushing it here, but how about a more comfortable rear seat? Headlights have fogged-over, and could be made of a material that kept clear (I have to take a buffing agent to them often.).