1993 Ford Aerostar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:
I really love this 'Thing'
By guddy on 10/30/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Aerostar Eddie Bauer 3dr Ext Minivan AWD

I bought my 93 with 158,000, I reluctantly gave it to my daughter to drive to Fairbanks, Alaska, laden with her and husband's personal stuff, on the roof and packed into the bay. They slept on top of the whole thing. In short, they put an additional 7,000 mi. on and arrived safely in Fairbanks. I didn't fix the AC compressor.., figured she didn't need it in Alaska. She had to change the oil to match the Alaska environments and she got a warning from a mechanic that they may need some front end ball joints and tie rods(the Alcan had some 'potholes'). Otherwise, I told her to never sell it, I would rather fly up and drive it back to Los Angeles.

one electrical issue after another
By shortcircuited on 08/11/09 15:41 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Ext Minivan

I bought this van cheap, and for the most part it has been very useful for people carrying and hauling. But I have had many electrical problems, starting with headlights that only worked intermittently; turned out that was a faulty wiring harness at the switch. Then the items operated from the steering column failed one-by-one (air bag light staying on, cruise control stopped working, same with horn, turn signals, wipers). I had the "clockspring" replaced and all work fine now. Then the driver's side door window failed gradually; replaced switch and motor. Now, there has been a series of ignition system failures that are stumping my auto electrician. When will it end!

Jack of all trades
By Wayne Canant on 08/15/07 03:07 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Minivan

Aerostar XL 4.0 with front & rear ac. Purchased with 125000 miles, wrecked with 259,790. Excellent foot room driver/passengers. Rapid rear and middle bench seat removal for hauling cargo. Battery, pass headlignt, tail lightbulbs, air/oil/trans/fuel filters easy to change. Filler neck for fuel is beside drivers door,(excellent location for security) Fuel mileage 23mpg at sustained 70mph Fuel mileage 16mpg in town stop n go. Excellent acceleration at all speeds. Excellent load capacity. Minor points of iritation; Alternator is right below oil filler neck. Have to guard aginst drips. Driver side headlight bulb requires tools time and care in changing. Ignition switchproblem

Ford - Resurrect the Aerostar!
By Cobra Pilot on 12/20/05 00:08 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Aerostar XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

Our XLT 2WD Extended - best all-around vehicle we've ever owned (out of 16). Invaluable as people mover with 7 seats as well as a cargo hauler with the seats out. We have moved tons of furniture and computers in it this way. We have used it to move kids off to summer camp in NC (from northern VA) as well as to college and home again over many years. Without it, would have had to rent a moving truck/van at a cost that would have paid for 20 percent of the new cost of the van itself. We even moved an upright baby grand piano in this baby! The interior height is sooo much better than what you find in other minivans. Very reliable. Low cost to operate. City/hwy avg of 18 mpg. Ford - Bring it back!

My rear wheel drive BOX
By Audwin Ross on 09/01/05 20:51 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Minivan

Great van to own and drive around the place. Very comfortable to sit in the driver's seat. Only problem is with the ignition switch that has problems with the ears where you have to line it up just right to get the key in to start the vehicle. 3.0 engine has an excellent track record, which makes this a much better and reliable van than the sorry 3.8 liter V6 that Ford put out for the Windstar. That Windstar was a failure and disgrace to the FORD name. Ford should bring Aerostar back with a few improvements. The best thing about it is: you guessed it "REAR WHEEL DRIVE" -- that is music to the ears of mechanics and people like me that are not big fans of front wheel drive! GREAT VEHICLE!

Not a bad vehicle
By Andrew on 06/29/05 18:59 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicle to use for a courier service. I have put 10k on it since the purchase over 2 months ago. Was doing pretty good, then the transmission went. Such are the joys of a used vehicle without maintenance records! If you need a cheap minivan that's cheap to maintain, these are still a good purchase. Just look out for body rust (especially along the seams on the roof), electrical problems (power windows and locks) and transmission noises/leaks are bad news in this van. Braking is good, but these vans are known for chewing up front pads/rotors, since the front brakes do all the braking. The AWD (also known as E4WD) version can be expensive to fix.

Still Rolling
By StillRolling on 05/08/05 15:11 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Minivan

Van has 271,000 miles on it. Still drives well, extremely reliable. Only minor repairs. Nothing exciting about the design, but very practical with lots of storage. Gas milage is very good, considering it is a box.

Good Used Vehicle Purchase
By cooperstar on 03/10/05 13:48 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Ext Minivan

Purchased my Aerostar as an in-between vehicle. Recently had family addition and needed room for family of five. This was a quick purchase without much thought. Have had to make several repairs since owning but have grown to love the vehicle. Replaced front axle, lower control joints, brakes, resealed windows, thermostat, water pump, shift control cable, middle bench seat, third door panel and radio. Even after all that it still cheaper than purchasing a newer van. With the exception of a pesky oil/transmission leak, which I will take care of soon, we have come to appreciate the van, especially the full time all wheel drive.

best investment by far
By nanaonthego on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Aerostar Eddie Bauer 3dr Minivan

I ALWAYS THOUGHT VANS WERE FOR EDERLY PEOPLE!UNTIL I BOUGHT THIS ONE I LOVE IT I CAN TAKE MY WHOLE FAMILY PLACES WITHOUT WORRING WHO WILL RIDE WHERE.WE HAVE BEEN TO TEXAS,MEXICO AND SEVERAL TRIPS TO THE BEACH WE LIVE IN THE PIEDMONT OF N.C.IT HAD 92000 MILES ON IT WHEN WE BOUGHT IT A FORMER OAKLAND RAIDERS PLAYER HAD IT BUT NOW THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS TAG SHINES ON FRONT AND BACK(I,M JUST A FAN)BUT I WOULD BUY ANOTHER JUST LIKE IT I LOVE THE COLOR INSIDE AND OUT YEAH IM A 38YR NANA BUT I LOOK GREAT IN MY EDDIEBAUER EDITION

sell 450.00
By Mitch Christmas on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Aerostar XL 3dr Minivan

Lot of miles but properly matained needs a driver side window Needs to be cleaned up Two new front tires Needs Rear tires. This van would get you to and from its not new but it is reliable.