2006 Dodge Magnum RT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Magnum - Consumer Reviews

2006 Magnum Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Magnum model:

Sort Reviews by

Money Pit
By Chris

2006 Dodge Magnum RT 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I had many problems with my Magnum RT. Wheels started to corrode, transmission leaked, windshield wiper controls had to be replaced (all fixed under warranty). Had to replace factory tires at 31,000 miles, replaced a tie-rod at about 40,000 miles, and the brake rotors warped. Wiper controls were again acting up, and a noise started in the front suspension when I finally decided to trade it off. Loved the power and looks, but it had to go. Build and component quality was awful. This car turned me off of Dodge products.

Favorite Features

Power and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Build it with better quality parts.

Awesome
By baycity

2006 Dodge Magnum RT 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in my 3rd Yukon Denali 3 years ago for this car and I love it. I didn't need a big SUV, but I still needed the use of a utility vehicle for my business, kids and dogs. This car is great. I average 20mpg with the 5.7 Hemi. I can have my cake and eat it too. I leased the car back in 2006 and just thought I would lease or buy another car when my time was up, but Chrysler sent me an offer I couldn't refuse. If I buy the car at the end of the lease, Chrysler will take a substantial amount off the residual buyout amount in the contract, so Iv'e decided to buy the car. 3 years and 57K miles later I haven't had any problems except with the navi which is a minor repair hopefully.

Favorite Features

Hemi

Suggested Improvements

None

Fun and flexible.
By ACM

2006 Dodge Magnum RT 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I went from a 2006 Honda Odyssey (3 steering racks in 20,000 miles was 3 too many) to the RT. The cargo volume is not quite that of the van but it is good. Four guys and golf bags are handled with ease. The gas mileage to date (5500 miles) is one mile to the gallon worse than the Honda. The fun to drive factor is approximately 8.5 out of 10. If you have to drive a wagon this is the one that will make you smile. I can only imagine how much fun the SRT8 must be to drive. I am already planning some tweaks to the engine and suspension because the chassis is just so good that it begs for more power and better spring rates. This really is a great platform, hats off to the engineers at Dodge

Favorite Features

The interior passenger space, the Hemi,the brakes, good gas mileage for a vehicle this size with 340 hp. The seats are quite comfortable. The Mercedes sourced rear wheel drive and multi link rear suspension handle very well.

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer spring rates and softer shocks. Throw away the Continental tires which even the dealers call junk. Upgrade the interior plastics. Mute points since this fabulous example of what can be built in North America, has been axed by the bean counters.

Should have bought it sooner
By Tom's NYC Review

2006 Dodge Magnum RT 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used with only 80 miles on it and got a super deal, number 1. I was statisfied with the price, leather , styling, sunroof, and the space. Hope it would be as powerful as my 1970 Cutlass which I missed dearly, and holy cow it was. Not only was it peppy and powerful but I had all the safety and comfort of a car built today. And yes, it does get good gas mileage when driven nicely, which I personally cannot do! Wish I did not have to deal with all the lovely traffic of NYC, then I can really open it up

Favorite Features

Powerful Hemi engine, space, comfort, simple interior styling, fun to drive feel in a practical car.

Suggested Improvements

Yes, like stated by other reviewers, the interior needs some beefing up, suppose the panels and rugs would see better days sooner than later.

What a Car!
By lovethiscar

2006 Dodge Magnum RT 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded my Civic for this (too small) knowing that I would be giving up my great fuel economy and it was worth it! Tons of room, a blast to drive. Took it 3000 mi. to Florida and back and it drove like a dream. 23 MPG HWY and 17 City. Came back to a blizzard and this car is a tank! Worried about the RWD but it goes through snow like butter. Trying to keep my foot light on the gas to improve fuel economy but it's so hard! Even my husband and kids love it!

Favorite Features

Safety features, roomy, decent stereo, heated leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Rate this vehicle
By magnum

2006 Dodge Magnum RT 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

The best all around vehicle I've ever owned. Sporty, family fun, looks great inside and out. Rides, drives like I said all around.

Favorite Features

Wagon, enough said

Suggested Improvements

Wouldn't change any thing maybe gas mileage just because of the price of gas

SRT8 Power House
By William Miller

2006 Dodge Magnum RT 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I first owned a 2005 SXT Magnum, black w/tinted windows and 17" alloy rims, I loved that car. My daughter said it looked like a hearse. It could have been an instant muscle car but the 3.5 L V6 just didn't have it.I mean the 3.5 is a great motor just not the Horse power I wanted. So I bought a 2006 SRT8 w/ the 6.1 L Hemi. Wow! It's balck just like the one before and a whole lot faster. The power is almost unbelivable between the two. I miss the all leather seats and moon roof the SXT had. The 20" rims make for a little more bumpy ride but the handling is superior. Lots of power and good looks!It's what I wanted when I bought my first Magnum.

Favorite Features

The performance of this car is unmatched at least until the Challenger hits the street. The looks, the power, the wheels, tires and suspension. The engineers really tied it all together with this one. Instant muscle car classic!

Suggested Improvements

The feel of tire hop while backing up was a little alarming at first and still makes me wonder if everything is still tight in the front end. But I have been assured by the dealership service center that the 20" rims and wide tires are the cause of this "hop".

Best car I ever bought
By vjklander

2006 Dodge Magnum RT 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I looked around for a new car and came down to the Chrysler A300, Dodge Charger, and the Dodge Magnum. When we saw the all-black Magnum we just loved the styling and found the rear cargo space desirable since we often need to take her parents to doctor's appointments and the wheelchair fits easily.

Favorite Features

Styling and performance are the two biggest points, but we really like everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

Move the high beam indicator. For both of us the indicator is screened from view by the steering wheel.

Fast and Fun
By Leslie

2006 Dodge Magnum RT 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

All in all I will have to say this is my all time favorite car! Love the power! No more waiting to get out in traffic. Plenty of cargo space and seats are very comfy. The only downside is that it is so peppy that we can't seem to keep our foot off of the gas! We were sold from the test drive on this car. If you're going to get one, get the Hemi! It is well worth it!

Favorite Features

Hemi 5.7, leather seats, tinted windows, lots of cargo space! Love how the engine converts from a 4 cyl to a 8 cyl with the punch of the gas. At cruising speed the engine shuts down to a 4 cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe upgrade on the plastics

50000 and going
By Dave

2006 Dodge Magnum RT 4dr Wagon (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

16 months and over 55,000 miles, what you have is the very good, and the very bad. First the good, power, space for my big frame 6'3", 280lbs, and lots of boxes. Nice, but not overwhelming interior, nav, heated seats, adjustable pedals, all the good stuff. Now the bad, horrible dealer service, makes me want to go back to Toyotas, and Hondas. Priced the 60,000 service one dealer wanted $850.00, another wanted $470.00. I've had a thumping noise in the right front since 21,000 miles, been to the dealer 4 times they can't find it.Serveral rattles, in the dash, and hatch. I will not buy another Dodge simply because of the dealer service.

Favorite Features

Power, looks, comfort. Features like nav, and the space I need without having to get a huge SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Quality. Improve dealer service, simply the worst ever.