Used 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

Dodge Caravan Owner for Life~
By Dawn

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very reliable van. purchased when it had about 26,000 miles. It now has 188,700 miles. We have had to do the standard repairs (Tires & Brakes). Around 100,000 miles we did have an antifreeze leak. Finally after a couple years of dealing with that they figured out it was a crack in a hose. They repaired that and we have not had any problems since. Currently the only thing wrong is the Drivers auto lock broke and the exhaust needs replaced.

hate it!!!!
By Brittany

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eL Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van 6 months ago and it's horrible. I had so many problems and they just keep coming. My ac compressor went out so that cost me $400. It always needs breaks. My left tire sensor is going out and now my computer is going out. It's $4000 just for the computer. One of the power sliding doors broke so I can't use it. The wiring to my signal lights are messed up. When I first got it, I had no problems until 2 days after my warrenty was up. Dodge won't work with me on trying to fix it. To them, nothing major is wrong and told me not to worry so much about it. With 4 kids I need a reliable car and this is NOT it. I regret buying this van.

Never again
By Dennis

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van because of affordable pricing and good looks. Reliability and build quality are poor with several recalls and replacement of transmission, water pump, AC compressor, sway bar bushings and now the blower motor only works on high. Have replaced blower motor resistor but that only worked for a short time before it failed. Many other problems, thank goodness I took out the extended warranty on this thing.

Power sliding doors and the seats are extremely comfortable, most comfortable car seats I have ever set in.

Need a major improvement in quality and reliability. I will never again own another Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. They are still way behind everyone else in quality of product and reliability.

Not too bad, after 8 yrs and 160k miles
By Dave

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2004 with 20k miles on it. Swore I'd never own a minivan. LOVE the carrying capacity, although removing the bench seats to make room for plywood sheets was a pain. The built- in kid seats (2nd row) was very handy after the kids got out of car seats. Love all the power outlets. Multi-zone climate control was nice. Very comfortable overall. Mechanically, the brakes/rotors got worked on more than I'd have preferred. It needed some kind of engine sensor replaced ($300) at about 160k. Tires = normal wear/tear. Fuel = approx 17 (but I have a heavy foot). A/C is still awfully cold, cruise works fine, very pleased overall. Just bought another used one!

The space! Quite comfy for a family of 4, and occasionally more. Quite reliable (bought the extended warranty, never used it). Lots of power outlets (kid's DVD, laptop, GPS, cell phone charger). Handles snow pretty well (Colorado winters). Dual sliders made hauling kids much nicer.

I wish the seats would lay flat to accommodate sleeping on. Power is somewhat anemic. Higher output headlights for late-night drives. Better cup holders (especially in back- they spill a lot). Interchangeable bench seating (thank goodness for stow- n-go on the replacement van). Individual reading lights.

No Regrets - Still Love It after 8 Years
By Scotty

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ordered new with lower (cloth) trim level, added roof rack, power rear gate, touring suspension, traction control, and steering audio controls. Absolutely love the model; all (even teens) enjoy driving it and don't want to sell. Outstanding interstate/trip vehicle but uneconomical around town. No major repairs but lots of $400 types (power doors, power steering, rust at rear wheel wells, power windows). Annoying dash LED back lights have failed so we are in the dark for console controls (but not displays). Automatic HVAC controls are poor design, wish they were just sliding manual controls. Engine performance, handling, and ride are great. Also very utilitarian with all seats out.

Trip computer, built in garage door opener, steering audio controls, power lift gate, stereo, rear HVAC, firm & supportive seats (ES model only), low noise level, engine, transmission, suspension, brakes.

Simplify HVAC controls like SE model has. Make power equipment more reliable.