2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
Never again
By Dennis on 06/15/10 08:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan eX Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van because of affordable pricing and good looks. Reliability and build quality are poor with several recalls and replacement of transmission, water pump, AC compressor, sway bar bushings and now the blower motor only works on high. Have replaced blower motor resistor but that only worked for a short time before it failed. Many other problems, thank goodness I took out the extended warranty on this thing.

Not too bad, after 8 yrs and 160k miles
By Dave on 06/08/10 18:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 2004 with 20k miles on it. Swore I'd never own a minivan. LOVE the carrying capacity, although removing the bench seats to make room for plywood sheets was a pain. The built- in kid seats (2nd row) was very handy after the kids got out of car seats. Love all the power outlets. Multi-zone climate control was nice. Very comfortable overall. Mechanically, the brakes/rotors got worked on more than I'd have preferred. It needed some kind of engine sensor replaced ($300) at about 160k. Tires = normal wear/tear. Fuel = approx 17 (but I have a heavy foot). A/C is still awfully cold, cruise works fine, very pleased overall. Just bought another used one!

No Regrets - Still Love It after 8 Years
By Scotty on 04/17/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ordered new with lower (cloth) trim level, added roof rack, power rear gate, touring suspension, traction control, and steering audio controls. Absolutely love the model; all (even teens) enjoy driving it and don't want to sell. Outstanding interstate/trip vehicle but uneconomical around town. No major repairs but lots of $400 types (power doors, power steering, rust at rear wheel wells, power windows). Annoying dash LED back lights have failed so we are in the dark for console controls (but not displays). Automatic HVAC controls are poor design, wish they were just sliding manual controls. Engine performance, handling, and ride are great. Also very utilitarian with all seats out.

Trip taker
By JLH on 04/17/10 07:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our van with 35,000 miles on it. We bought an extended warranty from a company that went our of business, but did get some repairs done first. This van was great for our family when we took trips. Even though it didn't have the DVD/Tv system. We didn't have too many problems until around 100,000 miles. We now have 134,000. Motor still runs good. Changed oil every 3000 miles and had the tranny serviced several times. The lock broke in one of the sliding doors. Just had front end problems. Sway bar bushings and a cv shaft. $500 to fix. My last brake job lasted 3 years. Replaced EGR valve. Now engine light is on. Vacuum problems. Also belt, tensioner and water pump. $500.

Car has been great!
By What to Buy next? on 12/28/09 20:46 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this van used with about 60K miles. It now has about 119K miles and I have had very few problems. I've done all the routine fluid changes, etc. but no major problems. Had the water pump replaced a while back. I love the comfortable ride. Now I'm in the market for another vehicle because my husband's died and I'm getting the new(er) car. Kids are in college now and I can't decide what to get next.

Lovin' the ride !
By Renee Washington on 10/24/09 22:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this van for a small mobile business I started. From day one it has been extremly reliable. I get a lot of compliments on it and love being seen in it. My only complaint is the 14mpg I get seeing as I live and work in the city. Other than that my family is lovin it.

Actually like it
By d. mierau on 08/12/09 00:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We traded a 2002 model with a 3.3 in it.Used ES model came to dealer with 10,000 km on it Old guy owned it, to big for him to park. He had put a gold warranty plan on it. Even paid all oil changes. I really like the power and good in ice and slush with ice radials. Have just had very miner problems, all fixed on warranty.Don't use it enough, should sell it, but like to drive it. Only has 60,000 kms. on it(37,000)miles. I suppose I'll have nothing but trouble now that I brag about it.

poor quality
By Maz on 03/16/09 18:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very comfortable and versatile. Served us well with two teens through college, however constant maintenance was costly and inconvenient. Another example of good basic design but poor materials and engineering of components, especially persistent problems with A/C, Transmission, Alternator, Belts, Wipers, Brakes, Spare Tire, Liftback and Radiator. Other than those things, it ran fine ; )

Love to Hate
By John on 11/16/08 20:16 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this off the showroom floor with 10 miles on it. It drove very well, but on the drive home we noticed a problem with the back taillight wirering.Fixed. Then, noisy side doors. Road noise is not fun to listen to. After 7 years and 80000 miles not unsatisfied, just a little unhappy what we have to live with. We had a flat and the aluminum rim isn't straight anymore, mileage and a wobble is still a bummer. New waterpump, tuneup, but no major costs. I am noticing a slower startup and going down road the tack jumps, maybe fuel fiter. The plastic is wearing but the seats are still well made, leather. I will look at this each time I buy from now on. Outside paint is still looking good.

Cruising in a Caravan
By J.D. on 12/18/07 15:09 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan ES Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Ample features like heated seats, CD/cassette options w/steering wheel controls and power tailgate boost its appeal. The 17" shiny chrome wheels add a sporty flair. Transmission is a little jerky at times from 1st to 2nd gear. Fuel evaporator hoses have been causing check engine light to come on. Replaced 2 hoses in less than a year. Comfortable ride and plenty of power.