Used 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

I miss my van
By preacher_man_d

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

If I hadn’t been hit two different times in one week and the insurance totaled it out, I would still be driving this van. I bought the van used in 2002. Yes, it had all the problems associated with Dodge vans – I replaced the transmission, the carpet under the passenger side stayed wet in the summer, etc. Many of the problems I was able to repair myself just by watching Youtube. Anyway, before I started driving with a “target” on my van, which caused me to be hit twice by two different people in one week (not my fault), I had just turned 234,000 miles! I will miss it.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission was designed by 3rd world nation flunkies.

"Sport" model for a reason
By sebago588

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 01 GC Sport in the latter part of 2000 out of a 96 Sable wagon. We love our van. Not only can we tow our 20 ft bow rider with it, the cargo room when all the seats are removed is like a Uhaul. The engine has power and sounds throaty like a Durango or even a Charger. Reaching highway speeds is no problem for the peppy little 3.3 liter V6 even with 7 adult sized passengers. We had one power window motor die out on our son while he was at a car wash (horrible scenario) and once needed a new starter. All of which were not ridiculously pricy but, repairing anything on a Chrysler product is thankfully never a "remortgage the house" situation. Engine smokes my sister's Odyssey.

Favorite Features

Center dash console was and still is sleek compared to other minivans, V6 Flex fuel engine can haul practically anything, rear climate control is a must and works great, Infinity Sound system has hardcore bass and sounds amazing, the car is rated at 15/22mpg however for 12 years we have been getting on average 27-30mpg at speeds of up to 85mph. Visibility is remarkable especially for a minivan.

Suggested Improvements

Make the 3.8 liter V6 standard in addition to the optional AWD. Lighten up the 3rd row seat so as not to need a body builder to come over and take it out for you.

2nd good one
By surflad

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 1995 Caravan with 50k miles in 1997. Put another 120k miles on it in 6 years. Transmission went out at 75k miles but was covered by warranty. In '02 traded the '95 in on this 2001 Sport. Now has 220,000 miles on it. Replaced entire A/C system in 07, $1k. Replaced transmission at 210,000, used one for $750. Other than that both front window motors, one alternator. Now on second tune up, second set of brakes, fourth set of tires, Goodyears. Doesn't use any oil, rides great! Hauls surfboards, kayaks, musical equipment and still gets 25mpg on highway. We love it!

Favorite Features

comfortable ride, great handling, front seat comfort, fuel economy, load capacity.

LOVE IT!
By hotwire71

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Dodge Gr. Caravan. I bought my 2001 in June of 2003 with 67,000 miles. I now have over 210,000 miles on it. Other than a CV Boot gone bad in 2004, I have had little in the way of maintenance. I've had the A/C looked at, but no one can find the leak, so I have it charged every Spring and have had no problems getting through the summer. In the 7 years I've owned the vehicle, I've replaced the break pads twice, so about every 75,000 miles. The front blower resistor/transistor or whatever it is called, went bad a couple weeks ago. In fact that's how I came to find this site. The part $13.99 and it's definitely a DIY job, took me less than 10 minutes. I LOVE MY VAN!

Been Very Happy
By GH

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Back in '04 I purchased my '01 GC Sport with 81,000 miles on it. After 6 years it has over 200K on the clock and still runs great. No transmission troubles, just regular maintenance changing the oil and getting new tires and brakes. The 3.3 is a reliable motor and it has performed flawlessly. My only complaint with the van is the power door lock switches as they don't always work.

Favorite Features

Seats, utility and ease of seat removal. Stereo has good sound quality for stock.

Suggested Improvements

Wish all of the Dodge Minivans were as reliable as this one.