Used 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Grand-caravan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

I would not take it even if it were free
By Sandy McGhee

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van new and cheap. Thought I was getting a deal. I should have checked this web site first. This van had transmission and engine problems and the back door latch was broken. I owned the vehicle three months and it started to act up. The worst vehicle I've ever owned. I will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler product ever again. Honda Odyssey, Nissan Quest or Mazda MPV is my next choice. We have a transmission place in our area where the owner got rich from repairing Dodge/Chrysler transmissions. This vehicle is dangerous and I feel Chrysler's repeated production of this vehicle exploits women and children.

Favorite Features

Roomy, smooth ride when it did work.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge/Chrysler needs to start over from scratch and take a lesson from Honda.

This was the best minivan in the 90's?
By CWD

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

This minivan was advertised and reviewed as the best minivan of the 90's. Thank goodness the 90's are over. This van has been unreliable. We were a block from home heading to the airport and both the input and output transmission sensors gave out. This was at 4:00 a.m. and we had to catch a plane at 6:00 a.m. We have had to replace all four power window motors, and we have had to replace the driver's window motor 3 times and it just went bad again. This vehicle is totally unreliable, and it is a shame, as the concept is quite good. Unfortunately, the reality is, this vehicle sucks!

Favorite Features

The fact that it is paid off and on the short list of vehicles we own to be sold or traded. Our 1997 Dodge Neon has been more reliable than this POC. That isn't saying much.

Suggested Improvements

Improved quality control and parts. If you have poor parts, then quality control suffers. It doesn't matter if it looks pretty on the outside, if it is ugly underneath. You definitely lost a customer here!

Works well
By North of 49

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Have owned this Dodge Grand since new. Has worked great. Very few problems. If used for city driving can be hard on front brakes, check them often. Have serviced the trans regularly, and had no difficulty.

Favorite Features

Good design. Roomy. Reasonable power. Handles well for the type of vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

We have the 3.8 liter engine. Stronger than 3.3, but needs more. Seats need more support, especially in the seat back. Roll down windows in middle doors would be a nice addition.

Grand Caravan Sport
By tdm

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Quiet,smooth ride with plenty of room for the kids. Has been extremely reliable with only a couple of minor problems. To date, 92,000 enjoyable miles. The front shocks started to squeak at 40,000 miles, but still function o.k. and are still on (with the occasional squeak). The clockspring coil pack was replaced at 84000. Each of the two transmission speed sensors out at 45000 and 55000. Total repairs (I did some of the work myself) is under $500. Not bad for a vehicle about to hit 100,000 and still drives like it was new!

Favorite Features

The trip computer is helpful (and cool to play with) and by monitoring, showed a problem -decrerased gas mileage fixed by adding a bottle of gas dry. Removable seats come in very handy for hauling large items. ABS has been literally been a life-saver and should be mandatory in every car.

Suggested Improvements

Still the best looking mini-van on the road! Othes would be wise to copy what Chrysler has moved away from.

Would buy another one!
By Bryan B.

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this car just after the birth of our third child. The sliding doors on both sides were the best feature at the time. It has been reliable with the exception of having to have three speed sensors , a water pump, and a belt tensioner. The van rides great and the seats are very comfortable. We get about 24 mpg on the highway and 18 to 19 around town. With about 65000 miles on it, I have no major complaints.

Favorite Features

Very roomy and a great ride.

Suggested Improvements

Speed sensor and more horsepower.