Used 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:

minivan
By bobpaul

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This has been a great vehicle for our family. We have 4 captain chairs and a back bench seat, with rear heat/air. We have taken some great family trips in this vehicle. Also, I like driving sitting up in the captain chairs.

Favorite Features

4 door access to 4 captain chairs. Great cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Noise level could be lower.

Grand Caravan: Latin for Money Pit
By dotweasl

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I thought I was the only person who called it a money pit. I bought it from my SISTER who had maintained the car flawlessly for 6 years. After 2 weeks the AC went out. 4 weeks later it wouldn't go into reverse. A week later it wouldn't shift out of gear at 30mph. Then the AC went out again and now it's not shifting gears. RUN AWAY! RUN FAST! DON'T LOOK BACK! Did I mention the strangulation sound it makes when the automatic door locks engage? Explain that when you're driving a client to lunch. That's easy: IT'S A MONEY PIT! RUN FAST! My transmission guy said if it weren't for the Caravans, he wouldn't have any business. RUN AWAY!

Favorite Features

The driver's side back door is a dream. I can't imagine not having this door with an infant car seat.

Suggested Improvements

Make a transmission that will last 100,000 miles. Or how about an A/C that will blow cool air without replacing the compressor every other year. Or maybe labeling it a 5 year throw away car so you know it will be junked and not suitable for resale.

Understand what you are buying.
By MarkB

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Great vehicle for moving the family round, spacious & comfortable. Pity about the reliability. I bought it with 60K on the speedo and now its at 104K. I have had a blown head gasket, the A/C fail, starter & water pump replaced. This excludes recalls on the radiator fan relay, fuel tank seals etc. I was fortunate to have a warranty which covered most of the above. If you want something you can rely on, look else where.

Favorite Features

Roominess & comfort of interior

Suggested Improvements

Better reliabity coupled with the styling of the later model

Ken's critique, Dodge mini-van
By ken jennings

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Purchased from local dealer with 50k. At this writing (8/11/03) now has 116k Have been happy overall. Some of the reliability issues other raters mentioned have also plagued me on occasion. Luckily, I'm a shade tree mechanic and not scared to tackle the unknown without prints or a tech manual. Have replaced starter, several rotors, brake booster (what a pain!), idler pulley (snapped off while driving), Front and rear AC expansion valve/dryer.Also have intermittent wiper gremlin where pulse wipe quits. Even with all this, my wife loves it and I'd probably get another one if I weren't tiring of the design.

Favorite Features

Seats for comfort and convenience. Carpet for cleanability. Factory privacy glass really works well. Quiet, smooth engine/tranny. (3.3L) Paint quality. Fit/finish for mid-level vehicle is good.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical systems seem problematic. 1. gremlin in pulse wipers 2. occasionally the van just dies, no warning or idiot lights ... just quits.

Replacing Tran part of reg maintainance
By Darcy Kallus

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

This car has been a real family friend and I would love it if I didn't have to replace the transmission every other year. This is my 3rd Dodge Caravan and I will never purchase one again. If your drink splashes or spills in the cup holder, be sure that the cd's in cd holder will get soaked. Too bad I can't afford to keep repairing everything and the gas mileage. I'd keep the car if it weren't for those problems. If I ever get another minivan, which I probably will, it won't be American. What a shame.

Favorite Features

Peppy pick up and very comfortable ride. Plenty of room for the kiddies and moving large objects.

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders, transmission shouldn't be built as disposable but rather to last. Gadgets that last rather than become broken. Needs better gas mileage, a gas guzzler.