1996 Dodge Grand Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
great design, poor quality
By candy man on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan 3dr Minivan

This vehicle has had numerous repairs from the start. Most have not affected reliability, but performance and inconvenience are at stake. Many sensors, egr valve, and frequent battery replacements have been serviced. I like the design and space but can't reccommend due to poor quality.

Piece of Crap
By Dodge in Distress on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan 3dr Minivan

I WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN!!!!! We have replaced the transmission, the air conditioner, the power steering (fell out while sitting at a stop light), water pump and numerous other faulty mechanisms on this van. We have driven foreign cars for years, and have never had to replace much more than the oil and tires. Something electrical messed up the intermittent wipers. The child safety seat has broken twice. STAY AWAY!!!

Grand Caravan Truly Great
By L B Room on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

The 1996 Grand Caravan 3.0 Engine I purchased in August '96 has really been a fun vehicle. Reliable until 250,000 when I put in a lower priced transmission - mistake. At 300k I changed it for the original again and the vehicle is going strongly again even with occasional light towing. Another thing to watch out for is the fuel pump which went at 306K Kms. The Forest Green with tinted glass remained stylish and ahead of the competition in my view. Great job! Still looks and drives as good as new.

Caravan 1996
By PWC on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

Every problem that could be experienced has been experienced. Chrysler would not correct a sinlge defect post 36,000 miles no matter the severitiy (transmission, etc.)

Never Again Will I Buy A Dodge Product
By C Paul on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE 3dr Minivan

Worst car, and worst service, ever encountered.

Unreliable Junk (My worst Nightmare)
By CHW on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

The transmissions are poor design and only last about 12,000 miles. This Van has gremlins too. It has electrical problems too. We finally parked it at 80,000 miles after My wife refused to drive it anymore. She bought an explorer and has been happy since.

Dodge on the dodge
By meatbkr on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I purchased my 96 Caravan new, and it the time to see it was when the warranty ran out. Transmission problems, air conditioner problems, brakes and rotors are always giving out. I just replaced the master cylinder at 80,000 miles, the engine and exhaust are the best features, no problems there, yet.

Stay Away
By No Way don't do it on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan ES 3dr Minivan

Don't do it. Listen to me. I drove this van for 75,000 miles. I Will Not buy a Dodge again. Had the deductable warranty but it doesn't pay for loss time taking it to the dealer, towing, or looking stupid by asking for a lift to pick-up the van again. I went through a transmition every 12,000- 20,000 miles. They put a brand new one in every time. I could not take it out of town in fear I would get stuck. I bought this van brand new. Even ordered it with the 3.8l engine, trans cool and block heater. I never towed anything heaver than a bike carrier. Stay away, stay away!!

Nice Car - Bad Track Recored
By memoj on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This is a nice over all vehicle but has had numerous electical failures, (wipers, sound system, cruise, ABS, a/c fan) We had to rebuild the transmission at 80k miles. The maintenance and repair record make this an expensive veh to own. Maybe that is why Chrysler is going to a 7 yr/100k mile warrant, to encourage people like me to come back.

Do NOT try to tow anything with this
By DeanWag on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

I have an small trailer that can hold maybe 1000# I have destroyed in the last 3 years 3 transmissions and the current one is showing signs. Odd electrical probles occur intermently like front wipers do one swipe ect.