Used 1998 Chrysler Sebring JXi Convertible Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chrysler Sebring Convertible

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

My First Car
By Hannah

1998 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

I had a 1998 Chrysler Sebring JXI Convertible as my first car and it was so beautiful. This car gave me some trouble when parts of the engine went bad and slowly each part went bad. This car handles poorly in the snow but that could have been due to my tires. The break sometimes wouldn't be able to be pressed, which is a problem among Chrysler, but was fixed. I bought this car for 3500 and put more than that into it with repairs.
This car handled damage well. I had hail damage which was almost unnoticeable due to the metallic paint job. I was in one minor fender bender when I slid on ice and hit another car. My car only had scratches on the bumper where the other car was dented in. I had my second accident in it which totaled it when I slid on ice and collided with 2 other cars. This car is very sturdy and kept me safe inside the car while taking the impact of 2 cars, one of which was while I was stationary and was a head on collision. This car is built strong!
This car has poor gas mileage and one of my speakers blew out when I don't listen to my music that loud.

Old, but totally reliable
By Dave

1998 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

We bought this car new in 1998, and it has been a totally reliable, trouble free vehicle in 130,000 miles. Aside from normal maintenance, the car has never been in the shop for repairs. The technology for it's time was good. Garage kept all it's life, the original top lasted 16 years - top material was good, but the threads began to fail. Original Michelin tires went 90,000 miles-she's still on her second set of tires and brakes, just installed 2nd replacement battery. Plugs, hoses, belts, timing belt changed a couple years ago at 115,000. Leather seats, carpet, etc. still appear near new. No complaints-it was driven daily for the first 10 years. She's become a garage queen in the past several years. Probably never sell it at this point. Bought a twin to it for our grand daughter 3 years ago. It has also been trouble free.

1998 Chrysler Sebring (Limited)
By chrysler777

1998 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

This Sebring is the first generation sebring and in my opinion the best! It is an affordable convertible that is not boring to look at or drive by any means. It has a refined transmission with plenty of power but pretty good mpg. If you are in the market for a convertible consider this one.

6-disc changer, leather seats, infinity sound, simple top to operate, stylish gage cluster, rims, and engine.

The seals around windows, way to stabilize windows so they dont shake as much when the top is down, a heavier duty heater

Just bought and LOVING it!!!
By takes2tutango

1998 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

So, I have only owned my Sebring for 3 days now and I really don't have a lot to base reliability on as of yet but, I can say I am thrilled with this car more every time I open the door, start the engine and head out on the open road. I looked at numerous BMW's prior but, none came close to the comfort and features for the money. I needed something that my two kids could fit in as well and they thought every BMW we test drove felt too cramped. Now, I am not in any way saying that BMW isn't a great car but, for the money I am LOVING this Sebring. I will keep you informed as to whether I still love it in six months and then a year too. Right now she's got 123,000 miles and looks brand new.

Stereo is AWESOME and I am getting better than 28 mpg when staying below 75 on the freeway. Plus the gold exterior on tan leather interior looks like a wonderful glass of bubbly. :)

Fun and Reliable
By oldschooldevil

1998 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi 2dr Convertible

I bought this car as a second car and I ended up falling in love with this car. It looks, drives, and feels very modern for a 12 year old car. There are some things that are starting to fail (radio, door locks what do you expect with a 12 year old car?) Other than that the engine runs great and the car over all is very solid and reliable. When this car finally gives out I'm considering buying a new Sebring cause this one is so solid. But for now I will continue to take care of this car and I'm sure that it will continue to be the best car I have ever had!

Stereo system, Power everything, everything but cup holders

Cup holders in a really bad spot, transmission a little grabby