Used 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

PT Cruiser Touring
By greenmamba

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new. Very dependable little car. Lost the transmission with 155K showing. The timing belt replacement was a lot, but for a "throw away" car, it's been fantastic. So much that we're looking a Chevy Trax because it reminds us so much of the Cruiser, BUT, the Cruiser is here to stay. Still looks and drives pretty good (a good "ten footer" now). Wish we had gotten the turbo. Will make a great spare now.

Favorite Features

The looks. Easy to park.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had a padded dash and power seats with warmers. More power from the base engine. But now it's too late.

A FUN-TO-DRIVE, VERSATILE CAR
By citygal57

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased my 2004 PT Cruiser GT a year ago after an auto accident had totaled my 2001 Ford Escort (no great loss). I had driven one previously as a rental in Florida and fell in love with it. When I bought it a year ago, it was fully loaded, all chrome, leather interior, great sound system, automatic seats, sun roof, spoiler, etc. It was a one owner vehicle and had around 55,000 miles on it; I paid about $6,000 for it.

Favorite Features

Since I commute on California's freeways, speed and pick up getting on and off the freeways were of primary concern as well as handling ability at high speeds, passing other vehicles, etc. It gets Kudos in all these regards and I couldn't be happier with its performance. I am short at 5'0" so I love being able to sit high up. The style is very classy, black with chrome mags and running boards, etc. The tinted windows are great as well. In looking for a newer, used vehicle, I wanted the convenience of being able to haul stuff without it looking like a red neck pick up truck. The roomy leather interior is great for passengers as well as taking my two Shelties to the beach. ;)

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is not good when making U turns on city streets, but then, it is classified as a 'truck' on my DVC registration, so there you go! I guess this is common with all the Cruisers, but the stupid idiot light continually keeps coming on and beeping when there is no problem with the vehicle at all! Drives me nuts! I wish the cup holder sat higher up was wider. It only accommodates small, standard size cups which is a pain to deal with. The coin sorter near the cup holder is a waste of space, in my opinion. I wish it had MP3 plug in so I could listen to music other than CD player.

Average Vehicle
By nightfrog65

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Wife owns one of these, so I get a chance to drive occasionally. Not overly impressed with this car, but don't hate it. Acceleration is average, but the engine seems under-powered for the weight of the vehicle. The turbo version is better. Wife's car is auto-perhaps the 5 speed is better suited for the engine. Working on vehicle is difficult for many tasks given that engine is tightly wedged in compartment-changing timing belt and water pump is a real nightmare-I let the dealer do that job :) Styling is ok-wife likes it better than I do. That being said, it is pretty roomy on the inside-can easily fit 5 adults and cargo. Fuel economy suffers due to weight of vehicle.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior and adequate cargo room

Suggested Improvements

More hp-engine is underpowered for a relatively heavy car. More room in engine bay-it's really cramped in there. Engineers maximized interior room, but forgot to consult with mechanics/service techs who actually have to make repairs on this car.

I Rock this thing
By drivenitall80

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

K, so i bought this inferno red 2004 pt cruiser gt with a premium sound system a year ago for my gf when someone totaled her focus, then we broke up and i kept the car because i was making the payments. Well ive but a crap load of asome bumper stickers on it, these awsome momo TEN-S black wheels on it, had the windows tinted, and every friday night me and my frreinds pile up into it and we go out cruisin and clubbing, i <3 this thing, we crank up the radio and roll all the windows down, its so much fun, i call it a chrysler party cruiser, i even actually have vynl stickers tht say party cruiser, and the way i take turns and sometimes DRIFT youd think the body was gonna fly off the chasis.

Favorite Features

styling, preformance, stereo, i pretty much love everything

Suggested Improvements

could have better mpg, the hatch does look stupid when its open, i mean it looks huge!!!

Cool looking good value
By rubbertoe

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Chrysler transmissions are fine they require proper service that means use the mopar fluid and change it when recommended. If you are not a mechanic don't mess with it. My pt has 70,000 mi. With no serious problems. The downstream o2sensor went out simple fix. A/c needs one can of Freon a year no big deal. Mileage isn't great but it's adequate I get 17 city and 24 hwy remember it's a wagon and it's heavy.

Favorite Features

Interior room and seat height. My cousin has trouble walking and getting in and out of vehicles. He has no trouble with the pt as the seats sit high.

Suggested Improvements

better mileage