1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Love My 1999 Chevy Tahoe
By tramhue on 12/19/12 10:36 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I can honestly say I really enjoy the reliability of my 1999 Chevy Tahoe with it's powerful 5.7 liter engine. I am a HVAC and water-proofing contractor and this truck exceeds all my expectations. I also charter fish on Lake Erie and this vehicle tows my Sea-Ray with little effort. I had to replace the fuel pump a couple years ago..and get a tune-up after 140 K miles, but let me tell Chevy cannot improve much on this vehicle.

Great SUV
By jeffersons on 02/25/12 11:07 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned a 94, 98, and 99 Tahoe, all of which have been exceptional vehicles. My 99 currently has 174k, looks great, sounds great, and has been very reliable. It might be slightly more expensive on gas than most vehicles, but the cheap maintenance more than makes up for it. At 140k I replaced the mechanism that opens the driver-side door. It was an easy fix and I was able to do it on my own in about 20 minutes. At 150k I had to replace the fuel pump. From what I understand this is a fairly common fix. Be sure to replace it with a GM factory fuel pump. 174k and only $800 spent on nonroutine maintenance! Looking forward to many years on the road!

Prime Example Of American Trucks!
By heavychevy99 on 08/11/11 00:30 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd go round with a tahoe. My first was a 97 and was an excellent rig! My current tahoe is a 99 and basicly reflects the 97 i had but has a few more cool options, Heated seats, Rear AC for the kiddos, This rig is hard to beat for the money spent. I paid $3800 for this 99 and it has 170K on it and still going strong. The Engine performs excellent, has great power and tows my 7000lb boat all the time. I read a few reviews of people bashing the transmissions in these tahoes but if you take care if it it will return the favor ( I.E. DO NOT TOW HEAVY LOADS IN OVER DRIVE! ) and treat it to a nice trans cooler and it will last forever. All in all this is an excellent SUV for the money!

Good Hauler But Had to Go
By rangermutt on 08/04/11 11:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my '99 Tahoe 4x4 LT used in 2001 with 64,000 miles for less than 1/2 what it sold new. I traded it in this summer with 154,000 after I got tired of replacing parts for the second or third time including: Anti lock brakes went out at 60,000; driver window motor 3x; driver outside door handle 3x; blower fan; intake manifold gasket; air conditioner pump; power steering sensor 2x; radiator; water pump; vanity mirror; console latch; distributor rotor 6x (I was stranded on the interstate last Thanksgiving when the rotor failed again). The straw that broke the camel's back was a misfire on the #4 cylinder that neither I nor the dealer could remedy.

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
By carguy03 on 02/24/11 10:15 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I had a 1999 Chevy Tahoe LT with the 5.7L V8 with the 4 speed automatic transmission. I purchased it in October of 2010, and it had 246K miles. It was lost in an accident in December 2010 due to brake failure. While I drove it, it was a very comfortable ride, and it was good to drive in the West Virginia weather. My father had a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT as well, I thought that the '96 had better power, but it was sold in November 2010. I would reccomend this vehicle to anyone.

My Chevy Tahoe
By me2uguys on 08/20/10 13:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased in 2004 from original owner. No major repairs until 2006, new alternator. 2009 New Intake Gasket. This truck had 87K miles when I purchased it. It now has 275K miles and she's still driving like she did when I bought it. I am now in the process of new shocks, but its done its job and more since I first bought it six years ago! Great, safe SUV, lots of room and I have towed horses with my truck and it still is doing fine. Highly recommended.

Not a bad vehicle so far
By devman on 07/08/10 00:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck has been in the family since new, my mom owned it until last year when I took it over. It has approximately 97k on it and we have never had any major issues. The heated seats have burnt out, and the seats themselves only recline to one position, fortunately that position works for me. The inside is comfortable, I am 6'4" so the headroom is a big plus for me. It has a terrible meandering problem, which I now understand to be a weak point in the idler/pitman/ball joints. I am considering upgrading to some performance parts after I take care of the steering, and doing a much needed change of shocks.

Unstopable. Period.
By Rjh6000 on 07/01/10 15:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love how from the back of the front seats to the front bumper, every single part of this rig is a SILVERADO. This thing is tough as nails, having towed trailers over 10,000 lbs more times than i can count, countless trips across the country at 85+mph speeds... I have replaced a battery, tires and brake pads. Gets between 17 and 21 MPG depending on drive. (gets 5 in town though) at 187,000 miles, can still do a wicked burnout! Its a loaded LT with the locking differential and manual transfer case. I have driven through snow past the front bumper and it just keeps going. (Michelin LTX MS's help) and its still smooth and quiet. Everything works. Like a Rock.

Couldnt Get BETTER!
By SkiGuy1982 on 02/17/10 17:33 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Traded a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition for this 99 Tahoe. WOW! Had 28k on it when I got it, and now has 145k. In that time, Tires (once) Front Pads (Once) Intake Gaskets (at 100k, Anyone surprised) battery (this winter) and that's it. I run it hard - Heavy trailers, High speed long distance cruises (80+) and its never been a problem. Just replaced a headlamp. I have NO complaints at all. She just runs. The mileage has been incredible to almost unbelievable. 20mpg cruising at 75. It really sucks it up in town at 7mpg though... Locking Differential and manual transfer case are really nice.

It gets you where ever you have to +....
By Kmkspfg on 01/21/10 04:13 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This winters has been amazing hitting 6 foot drifts in roads and still going . well besides a broken grill and a after break down of distributor cap and rotor. it was fine. now the check engine light is back on but running fine but i cant afford to keep repairing.. tempted to trade for a f-150 or a dodge magnum awd. and thats bad because im a chevy guy. its a wonderful truck other words besides a few problems.. gets around way better than jeeps and what not....