Used 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Love My 1999 Chevy Tahoe
By tramhue

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I can honestly say I really enjoy the reliability of my 1999 Chevy Tahoe with it's powerful 5.7 liter engine. I am a HVAC and water-proofing contractor and this truck exceeds all my expectations. I also charter fish on Lake Erie and this vehicle tows my Sea-Ray with little effort. I had to replace the fuel pump a couple years ago..and get a tune-up after 140 K miles, but let me tell Chevy cannot improve much on this vehicle.

I really like that I can slow down..and put her into 4 WL or 4 WH by pushing a button. This baby has pulled much larger vehicles from the ditch with ease. Mine is equipped with rear air/heat and has an after-market 12 CD changer mounted aft with a remote for the front passengers.

I might suggest a better way to have the copper electronic pads on the rear doors supplying power to the lights, etc. Additionally, I feel the blower/heater/AC switch assembly could be improved upon.

Great SUV
By jeffersons

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned a 94, 98, and 99 Tahoe, all of which have been exceptional vehicles. My 99 currently has 174k, looks great, sounds great, and has been very reliable. It might be slightly more expensive on gas than most vehicles, but the cheap maintenance more than makes up for it. At 140k I replaced the mechanism that opens the driver-side door. It was an easy fix and I was able to do it on my own in about 20 minutes. At 150k I had to replace the fuel pump. From what I understand this is a fairly common fix. Be sure to replace it with a GM factory fuel pump. 174k and only $800 spent on nonroutine maintenance! Looking forward to many years on the road!

Prime Example Of American Trucks!
By heavychevy99

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd go round with a tahoe. My first was a 97 and was an excellent rig! My current tahoe is a 99 and basicly reflects the 97 i had but has a few more cool options, Heated seats, Rear AC for the kiddos, This rig is hard to beat for the money spent. I paid $3800 for this 99 and it has 170K on it and still going strong. The Engine performs excellent, has great power and tows my 7000lb boat all the time. I read a few reviews of people bashing the transmissions in these tahoes but if you take care if it it will return the favor ( I.E. DO NOT TOW HEAVY LOADS IN OVER DRIVE! ) and treat it to a nice trans cooler and it will last forever. All in all this is an excellent SUV for the money!

The Vortec 5.7 has plenty of pulling power and still gets reasonable mpg. The rear AC is a blessing for the little ones.

Good Hauler But Had to Go
By rangermutt

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my '99 Tahoe 4x4 LT used in 2001 with 64,000 miles for less than 1/2 what it sold new. I traded it in this summer with 154,000 after I got tired of replacing parts for the second or third time including: Anti lock brakes went out at 60,000; driver window motor 3x; driver outside door handle 3x; blower fan; intake manifold gasket; air conditioner pump; power steering sensor 2x; radiator; water pump; vanity mirror; console latch; distributor rotor 6x (I was stranded on the interstate last Thanksgiving when the rotor failed again). The straw that broke the camel's back was a misfire on the #4 cylinder that neither I nor the dealer could remedy.

Leather interior, barn doors, towing capability, cargo room.

How about anti-lock brakes that work when the 4 wheel drive is engaged? When you need it the most they don't even function. One of Chevy's dirty little secrets.

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
By carguy03

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I had a 1999 Chevy Tahoe LT with the 5.7L V8 with the 4 speed automatic transmission. I purchased it in October of 2010, and it had 246K miles. It was lost in an accident in December 2010 due to brake failure. While I drove it, it was a very comfortable ride, and it was good to drive in the West Virginia weather. My father had a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT as well, I thought that the '96 had better power, but it was sold in November 2010. I would reccomend this vehicle to anyone.

I liked that the vehicle had a luxourious interior, and the vehile was a very reliable one.

I didn't like the brake system, they are the reason why it is now totalled.