Used 2004 Chevrolet SSR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Ssr - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet SSR

LS 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic 4.1 ft. Bed - (58 reviews )

What a riot.
By Wingnuts

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in an F-150 FX4 for this ride and love every second of it! Talk about a fun drive, but if you are an introvert you'll hate it because everybody wants to talk to you about it. Top down is the absolute best especially @60mph or less. The only issue I've had is cavitating with the windows down and the top up over 40mph. I'm glad I waited on it though as the dealer knocked off $15k from the sticker.

Favorite Features

Top down all the way!

Suggested Improvements

Fix cavitating noise with the windows open.

Lots of Fun
By Dave

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The SSR is fun to drive and gets lots of attention. It fits our need for going to the beach as well as hauling golf clubs.

Favorite Features

The convertable top and 40's look. Great for all the sunny days in Florida

Suggested Improvements

More room beside seats to reach controls. Improve window casings to avoid scratches

Attention Getter!
By berne1

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got my 2004 SSR in December. The prices have come down since the launch. This car is definitely an attention-getter! The first day I got it I was stopped at the dry cleaner by a passerby to give me a compliment. I can't wait for summer to put the top down. This car looks sleek and low but actually sits up quite high, which is the best of both worlds. I love the interior design with the gauge package and upgraded stereo.

Favorite Features

Exhaust note is tuned like a '60s muscle car. Exterior styling theme carries over into the interior. Gauges look cool. Inside of the cargo area is beautiful, almost a shame to put anything back there. This car stayed VERY true to the concept car. Handles better than expected in bad conditions.

Suggested Improvements

No XM radio available - why? Acceleration isn't great from the 5.3L engine. Handling is true to it's truck roots. Seat controls are hard to reach due to limited room between seat and door. Maybe they should be relocated to door panel.

Ten days of sheer joy so far
By Gentlespirit

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 SSR 10 days ago. It is Slingshot Yellow and has all of the trimmings except the chrome wheels. I got an incredible deal from the dealer: 8% discount AND 72 months at 0% financing. Some of the salesmen suggested I might have "stolen" it (heh heh). Well certainly not. But I can certainly say I couldn't have afforded it any other way. An MSRP of nearly $47K put it out of reach until the magic of discount + 0% came around. I have been driving it all around for the past 10 days. It has been pure unadulterated joy. I get thumbs up, "OK" hand signs, rolled down windows with big smiles and every other kind of admiration everywhere I go. A huge boost to my self esteem. I adore it!

Favorite Features

Three favorite features: Style, style, and style. It has yards and yards of COOL to spare. Mine came equipped with all the bells and chimes. I really like the sound system.

Suggested Improvements

I'm 6' 3" tall - The leg room on the drivers side is a bit short. It would be nice to have about 2-3" more depth from the seat back to the pedals. I'd also love some sort of periscope or prism that would help me see traffic signals when I am up at the front of the line... A price I glady pay...

What a thrill
By kenny andrus

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

What a thrill to drive. Every time you get behind the wheel, it's like being 15 years old and first experiencing driving. A real head turner. Hopefully it will hold its value as predicted as mine is an investment. Has plenty of pep yet not hard on gas.

Favorite Features

Start it up and the fun begins. Everything is neat and a real attention getter. The auto top is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

365 days of sunshine so I can drive it a little every day.