Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500HD model:

Excellent in every way
By TR993

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is trouble free, rides like a cadillac and has power to spare. The 6.0L gas engine does the job nicely. The heated seats work wonders and all LT features are well thought out. The looks of the truck are second to none.

Favorite Features

I prefer this grille over the new style but I really love the comfort level achieved with the multi adjusting power seats.

Suggested Improvements

None.

2001 Chevy 1500HD LT 4x4
By bretj

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

All in all a descent truck, much better than the previous models. Much improved leather surfacing and features that were never on a truck before. Now for the bad stuff... Paint started peeling after a month, GM told me I did something to it, not noticable to most people but we know it's there. POOR gas mileage, 11 mpg anywhere I go. Harder ride than my dads Ford 1 Ton dually. Knocks with 89 octane (use 91 and it goes away). Auto shutoff at 96mph has to be fixed with a hypertech unit to reach 127 actual top end. Needs bigger stock tires for offroad use. No aftermarket lift kit that I can find.

Favorite Features

Onstar (when it works), Autolamps, improved leather in LT Package, Climate control A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the fuel economy, this is basically a luxury vehicle after all. Longer standard warranty, or an affordable extended warranty.

I am very happy with my Siverado 1500 HD
By Brigdisk

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I think by Chevrolet making the 1500HD, Chevrolet has relly complemented its pickup line. I have owned mine now for 10 months, and love it.

Favorite Features

The 6.0 Litre engine really has a punch when towing, the styling is so much better then the 2003's, and the full 2nd row of seats is excellent. It is eqivelent to a Tahoe, but has the 6 foot bed behind to haul anything.

Suggested Improvements

If the 2002 was offered with quadrasteer, it would have been a great improvement. Sirius radio would have been nice. If HID headlamps were offered factory (instead of aftermarker) would also be a good option.

Chevy 1500HD crew cab 4x4
By reynolt

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck can pull my 5 horse gooseneck trailer and fit my family of 4 very comfortably for travelling. The back seat that folds flat is great for hauling dogs or groceries. This is the best truck I could ever have. The tow/haul mode really works well when we are pulling our trailer, no more manual shifting. Lots of power in that 6.0L engine.

Favorite Features

Automatic 4WD may be my favorite in the winter months. But having the 1500 body style in a solid powerful truck that can pull a trailer is the best. I've had a superduty Ford, and this beats it in all respects.

Suggested Improvements

Offer the larger engine with the allison transmission in this bodystyle (8.1L with allison autmatic tranny). That would be the perfect truck. Also, need some brighter colors (bright blue, red).

HD=Huge Dissapointment
By HD mike

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Don't waste your $$$$$. This thing has more problems than Enron. Here are just a few. piston slap (this is my favorite) burns 1qt oil/1500 miles (25K on truck) transmission front-end mysterious vibrations interior quality I have been to various dealers with all of these problems and none of them have been able to fix any of these. I will be paying Ford a visit very soon.

Suggested Improvements

Work out the bugs before mass production.