Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Enough, I'm ready to trade for Tundra
By fish_a_lot

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I too experienced the rattly loose steering shaft. Truck developed the drive line clunk at 5000 miles. Repeat fixes helped but not solved the problem. Lately the drive axle had to be replaced. This breakdown occured while towing my boat. The Tow Mode switch also died on its own. All work was covered by warranty. I'm scared what will happen after the warranty expires with 5000 miles left to go. To that end, I'm trading it in for a new 2007 Tundra. First new vehicle bought, last Chevy I will buy.

I loved the interior spacing and comforts. Will miss it when compared to the plasticky Tundra.

Please build Chevy's more reliably or extend the bumper to bumper warranty to 5 year 60K miles.

I like it, I love it
By tripn3

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love my SS. I did have a few issues with power but I added a raised plenum, a 8lb turbo boost,borla catback mandrel bent exhaust, and remapped and programmed the computer. I still get about 10 mpg around town and it now makes a awesome sound when you spool up the turbo. I havent really deove it in snow or anything as I live in Texas but the AWD sure helps with the traction. I'll say it again I love it.. Very very fast.

Seats are very comfortable and the looks are just right. Way better than the lightning and I have a back seat and can tow a 26 ft bay boat no problem.

Fix the speedometers! I only have 18k niles on mine and the speedo has been changed twice because the speedo quit working the first time and then the tach the second. More power options

This truck can't be beat!
By chevy guy

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for a little less than 2 years and have put a little over 30,000 miles on it. It's the vehicle that I use every day and I can honestly say it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is a capable and comfortable truck that has been nothing but reliable since the day I bought it. All I have ever done is keep up with the regular servicing and it has never failed me. It has good power (5.3 V8 with 3:42 rear end) and returns a combined 17 mpg city/hwy mix all the time! The only problem I have had is that the "Z71" decals began to peel. These were replaced under warranty. That has been the only repair. Resale is very good too! Chevy has my repeat business for sure!!

Everything! Certainly not cutting edge design but the materials are good and so is the quality. Great power and also great gas mileage for a full size 4WD truck. Good aggressive pricing policy gave me a great deal on the truck. No one else could match the features on it for the price I paid.

It seems what was lacking in design has been addressed with the new GM trucks. My biggest design complaint is with my extended cab's rear doors not opening wide enough. This seems to have been solved on the new trucks along with the somewhat bland interior design. Other than that, no complaints!

Love my Silverado!
By LizC864

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Best vehicle I ever owned. We recently bought a new Honda Odyssey and I drove it for a month before giving hubby the van and taking my Silverado back. There was nothing wrong with the Honda, it's a great vehicle, but I just love my truck.

Body style and comfort. It's a truck that rides like a luxury car.

Make the long bed available for the 1500. That's my only gripe, the bed is too short and I couldn't have gotten a long bed unless I bought a 2500 or higher, which I couldn't afford or justify for my lifestyle.

My First Truck
By msgt_gibson

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The 2005 Chevy Silverado is my very first truck. It rides good and I've had no problems with it. There have been no extra costs outside of routine maintenance. The V6 has sufficient power for my needs. The back seat of the extended cab has adequate space for supplies but is a tight fit for adults. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

I like the simple layout and ease of use of the displays and controls. Seating position and comfort is better than I thought it would be.

I havent seen the newer models but the 2005 interior has too much plastic and cant hold up to its name "Worktruck".