Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Excellent Value
By m9431

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This replaces my Toyota Truck. Looked at Ford, Dodge, and Toyota. The Ford did handle and ride better, but the Silverado provides more backseat space for passengers (ext cab) and does better with gas mileage. Seemed quicker, too. I surved others on reliability and found the newer Silverados to be very good. Interior is fine--I bought a truck, not a luxury car, afterall. Very good blend of performance, comfort, MPG, toughness, pracicality and price.

Favorite Features

Smooth powerful V8 with best-in-class MPG. Strong chassis; very quiet ride. Good value, blend of features.

Suggested Improvements

Could handle better.

Not perfect, but better than the rest
By Derek

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for almost 3 months now and have found it to be great for what I need. As I saw in another review, there is some engine pinging at highways speeds and the tranny does have some sort of clunk to it, especially between 2 and 3 gears, but outside of that the truck have been perfect. Rides better than Ford or Dodge and gas mileage is acceptble at about 17mpg in hilly terrain with lots of stop and gos. Towed well for the 1 time I towed about 3000lbs, hardly noticable. I would buy another given the chance and would suggest potential buyers to test drive before making their decision comparing it to Ford and Dodge.

Favorite Features

4x4 system, XM satellite radio, ride and feel of the truck.

Suggested Improvements

More power wouldn't be a bad thing, though at 295hp and 335tq, not really required. 5 speed auto would work wonders for this engine and truck!

The best truck yet
By travisaz

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Chevy truck and this is the best by far. I have more than enough power to get up and move (More than fFrd and Dodge). I have lots of room for passengers (More than Ford or Dodge). I really love this truck. No problems as of yet.

Favorite Features

The 4.8l engine, comfort, room, towing, climbing of mountains

Suggested Improvements

Put disc brakes on the rear.

Not a good ride
By Ralph Cooper

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Very bouncy rear end, not a pleasant ride even on smooth roads. GM says it is charteristic of this model, nothing they can do. Even with a load in the bed (1000+ lbs.) it still rides stiff. Had a 2004 model that was great, service mgr said they changed the design (both 4x4). I made the mistake of not driving the truck before purchase - assumed it would be the same as my 04. I would not have purchased this truck had I known. Looking for help from GM for 3 months but, to no avail. I switched to Michelin tires, some help but, still wears me out to drive long distances.

Suggested Improvements

Fix shocks and/or springs in rear to provide a smooth ride.

Great Truck
By JB

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

By far the best truck I drove. I have a 5600lb boat and I don't even know its behind me most of the time. Great room inside and more standard features than Dodge or Ford. I LOVE my truck

Favorite Features

Dual zone air. Bose stereo. OnStar

Suggested Improvements

If it ain't broke, don't fix it