Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Great Truck!
By Lourot

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have over 70,000 miles on this truck and it has never seen the inside of a shop for repairs. Routine maintenance is all that's require. Replaced the factory tires with Michelin ltx when they wore out and that has improved the ride and wet traction considerably.

Reliability has to be #1. I've never owned a new vehicle before that didn't need at least some warranty work done, This is first for me. #2 is the Silver Birch color. So easy to keep looking good even on a dirt road.

Seat design. I throw little stuff in the seat and it always falls through the gap between the seat.

Best purchase of the year
By chris

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this truck used with under 26000 miles. Great truck and plenty of room for me and the crew inside the cab. Traded in my 1979 Silverado and haven't looked back. These Chevys are built to last as my last truck was a testiment to that fact. The 04 drives like a car and handles like a dream. The 5.3 liters is more than enough power to pass the folks doing 75 MPH in the fast lane. The Bose stereo has lots of thump for the headbangers and air guitarist. Caution air guitar is not recommended while driving. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing except for not buying this truck sooner.

Radio steering wheel controls. Towing capability is awesome. Bose stereo rocks. Instrument panel is easy to read and laid out nicely. Seats are comfortable enough to fall asleep. Interior on the Crew Cab has plenty of room in the rear even with the front seats all the way back. Dual climate control.

I miss the 8 ft bed of my old truck. With my tool box installed I have little room for much hauling. I solved this by purchasing a nice set of ladder racks for about $500. Gas mileage is less than advertised at about 13 city 18 hiway. Interior design is pretty plain but I could add a trim kit later.

Love My Truck
By Doug from NC

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My truck is my baby. It's ready for a night on the town or to help a friend move. It's never let me down and I feel safe and comfortable driving in rain or snow. The auto 4 wheel drive function is what gives me this feeling. 47000 trouble free miles and counting. My second Silverado and I will have it for the next 5 years at least.

OnStar is great. I love the ride, this thing holds the road and doesn't bounce around like other makes 4x4s. It really gives you a feel of control yet seems to drive itself. Seats are very comfortable and the leather is of "truck" quality which means it holds up well to wear and tear.

Locking tailgate. Get with the times and go with LED tail lights. Go back to the locking center console and glove box. Larger stock rims and tires. I suggest 17 to 18 with at least 265 tires instead of 245.

OK But typical GM
By Keith Stroup

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck new in 2004. Had a Dodge Ram 1500, This was a huge step up. Best gas mileage: 21 MPG driving on factory tires thru Ohio / Indiana. Worst gas mileage: 16 MPG driving on larger P265 aftermarket truck tires thru Central PA. I don't like the rear doors, they don't shut right. At 12,000 miles I had to have all rotors turned, they were warped so bad I was afraid to step on the brakes. At 34,000 miles rear rotors rusted & wore the rear pads out?? Chevy blamed it on me...keeping it in a garage & driving it on weekends is too much for rear disc brakes? Excellent 4WD system, like the part-time 4WD feature, comes in very handy on wet roads. At 35K I still like the truck.

Electronic select 4WD & Part Time 4WD. OK gas mileage. 4.8L engine is plenty if your not hauling. Comfortable to drive on long trips. Standard 4 Wheel anti-lock brakes.

Rear doors on extended cab don't shut right. Rear disc brakes may have issues.

Quality Defined. Yep, It Is A Chevy
By Rhett

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Three years later and its still going strong. No diminished qualities. The only repair outside of standard oil changes has been the steering column bearing and the A/C diverter actuator. No big deal either time. The warranty covered it all. Nice riding vehicle. All two-wheel- drive Chevys historically have the porpoising front ends on hilly/bumpy roads, this one is no different. But, I bought a truck not an El Dorado.

XM standard, rear end gearing, rear seat entertainment system, good sight lines.

More durable seat fabric, especially on the edges near the doors.