Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Its a good buy
By Nick Atyia

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I feel like it meets all my needs. I dont drive to far places and I dont take lots of people around town with me. It runs good, not fast, but good. it is comfortable and sporty. I like it.

Wheels, color, extened cab for golf clubs and comfort.

Engine needs a power upgrade. more standard power options.

Great value for a used truck
By Thekid

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this S-10 with the 2.2L/5 Speed - yet otherwise it's loaded even to having the premium CD player audio. The 4 Cyl is okay power-wise once you realize it comes alive up in the rev band when you need to accelerate. The A/C all but kills the poor engine however - but it does blow ice cubes. There is enough room for my 6'1" self - the bonus of the lower seating. For me, of course the seat is jammed fully back without the luxury of reclining - so I don't use those break-prone parts... of course my lumbar support is long gone. The seats are too hard. The wiper control issue is a major safety problem! Positives are great economy and solid body at 100K+

Solid tight chassis @100K+ miles and excellent fuel economy top my list. The 4 cyl power is better than expected if you keep the revs up. Nice paint job and better than expected room are a major plus. I like the retained power for the radio - along with the automatic exit lamps.

The windshield wiper issue should be a recall issue. Better interior materials and hardware (doors rattle from the factory stereo - yet never from the hardest bumps). The A/C should not choke even the high- reving/limited low-end torque 4 cylinder as much as it does.

Those wires drove me crazy!
By Economy Engineer

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

The high-energy ignition module kills a set of wires every 25K miles.Until you recognize that, it will make you insecure. As soon as you feel that first stutter, probably on a wet day, change them immediately. When it's got good wires, it runs like a champ. 103K so far, still getting 28MPG on a commute, I've had as high as 35 MPG on a trip w/ 5 speed, 4 cyl.

Auto headlight sensor.

Identify the need for high-energy wires, standard wires can breakdown in 5K miles.Eliminate body tilt.

Hmmmmmm.....
By Matt R

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Well, I can't say I havent been totally dispointed.. But, I have owned this truck since it was brand new. I had to replace the transmission at 35,000 miles (which sucks). My wiper blades went out and than broke. But, other than that this truck has never has left be stuck somewhere. It's gets okay gas mileage. The performance sucks, it doesnt have a lot of pick up, but that is probably because I have an auto.

The interior is very nice for a Compact truck

Learn how to build transmissions and add some horsepower to the little V4......

Nice Little Truck
By snorenore

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought my truck 2 years ago, I have the 4cyl 5 speed. Has been a great truck for me, most of all because of the great fuel economy. Has some minor things that don't cause any problems, they are just annoying. Like many other S-10 owners I know the SES light is on. Have taken it in twice and they can't seem to find out what it is. It shifts nice except downshifting into third, that can be a little tricky. 80,000 miles and still going strong.

Exterior looks, great gas milege for a truck (about 23-25 highway). This has also been a very reliable truck, no major problems since I've owned it.

More powerful 4 cyl. Also, the cup holders are all but worthless, a gauranteed spill if you actually decide to use them. Also, it's totally worthless on snow, but hey, what do you expect from a rear-wheel drive truck?!