Used 2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Good Car
By oceansunset79

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for only $2,600 at a reputable local dealership. It's not new, the check engine light is on, but it runs/drives good. However, it seems to be getting poor gas mileage, and I still have to figure out why (has gone through almost 1/2 a tank of gas while only having gone 130 miles). I do mostly highway driving so this was quite surprising as I was expecting the rated 30 MPG city/40 MPG hwy as it has the 4-speed auto. I was impressed with the near-perfect reliability rating from consumer reports for this year/model. The only problem I've had besides fuel economy is that when the A/C is running the engine sometimes idles erratically, not sure why.

Even with 215,000 miles ALL of the options- power windows, power locks, factory CD/speakers, cruise, A/C, Int. Wipers, Keyless Entry all work great.

Gauges not lighted adequately for night driving (maybe a few dash lights burned out?), 4-speed auto tranny shifts fairly rough, may be due to the high miles (tranny fluid is perfect color/smell though). Not able to find the spark plugs/wires/PCV Valve/fuel filter- not an easy car to work on.

Great Value
By currycook

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for reliability and fuel economy. We have had no problems with it and have only changed the oil on a regular basis. It's not a fancy car but for pure value its a great great car.

I really enjoy the five speed.

To be able to see some controls better.

Very good first car
By cjeanine

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had this car for about a year, and it was my first car. and I think for it being my first, I did pretty darn good. It's good on gas, and very easy to drive. The headlights turn themselves on at night, then off when the car is turned off, so I never have to worry about forgetting and leaving them on. The only annoying thing I can think of is that it doesn't always accelerate as fast as I want it to. Overall, a great, cheap, reliable car.

Automatic headlights

More power

Shift Lover
By Alan

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The reason I traded my 2002 Impala in was that my wife and I were done travelling. We just needed economical, reliable city transportation. The Prizm is exactly what we needed except now wish I had a manual transmission.

Air, door locks, ABS, and side air bags.

Have 8-way seat adjustment.

My little Prizm
By Mr500CM

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Not a bad car for the price... its zippy, handles well and its good on gas. In over a year, no real problems, the biggest one was that I needed to replace two bulbs. It runs and handles well all year long.

Its a Corolla at a cheaper price!

GM should crank it out again, its a heck of a value.

• SUV