Used 1998 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Prizm

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

148,000 and still rolling
By JRB

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1998 Chevy Prism in fall '99 and it is still rolling after all these miles and 10 plus years. I have taken care of it and it still runs great. I have done regular work on it, and every vehicle needs this. Battery, starter, alternator, tires, brakes, oil changes, etc. I have heard these things will push 200k and still roll on. We will see and I will run this until it dies.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, around 39 MPG. Easy to work on compared to never vehicles. Don't have to take it in to dealership and pay $100 for a computer checkup. Parts are not hard to find.

Suggested Improvements

The bloody door handle issues! I have bought 2 inside door handles and they break again! Thank you, engineer, who designed this. The power lock ones are getting hard to find on web.

Love my Prizm
By deb

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Updating the review I wrote 2 years ago. We now have about 238,000 miles on her. She is still going strong. Had the a/c fixed for about $1200 and the only other thing we have had done is the radiator replaced since last review. We love this car! Excellent quality as far as engine performance goes.

Favorite Features

Exterior style, fuel economy, reliable

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper replacement for a/c.

This is my 3rd one! Keep on buying them
By This is my 3rd one..

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

This is the 3rd Prism I've bought new. I used to buy a new one every 2 -3 yrs with an 84/day commute. Since I done have the drive anymore, I am driving this one til it dies. I have 130k and have never had anything serious to repair. A new battery, tires and just today a new starter. I had to repair 2 of the doors and one of the electric locks doesn't work. I would definitely buy another Prism!

Favorite Features

Position and ease of the 5-speed stick and great visibility, of course not to mention the reliability! Trunk space is great too!

Suggested Improvements

Take a look at the doors and locks.

What's with the driver side window?
By Hecktor

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought a 94 Prizm new and love it. So when my brother in law died, I bought his 98 Prizm. The 98 had power windows. The driver's side window broke, so my wife had it repaired, and it broke again. My paralegal has a 2000 Prizm with power windows, and her driver's side window broke as well. My 94 had manual windows, so no problem there. I love the car, but it's hell at the drive through windows at the bank and McDonald's.

Favorite Features

Mileage and reliability is great.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the driver's side power window

Supe Reliable Car!
By SUPER RELIABLE CAR

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new. This car has given me over 265,000 miles of nearly trouble free service—what more can you ask of a car? The only things I've replaced other than regular maintenance are the a/c condenser at 175,000 and an exhaust part connected to catalytic converter and radio. As well as 3 out of 4 door handles. This car has a 5-speed manual with the original clutch and still gets 37 mpg on the highway at average speed of 80 mph!

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better cupholder design/placement (interferes with radio controls).