Used 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Great Coupe!
By Dr. Rudy Turnbough

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Monte Carlo, and I find it better than the first two! The car is fun to drive and handles great on the snowy roads we get up north. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone that appreciates a great American personal coupe, and yes I would buy another one.

The overall lines of the exterior give the Monte Carlo a beautiful "no copy" presence.

How about a manual transmission option!

The Fast and the Luxurious
By christophero1973

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

A very good balance of performance and luxury. Unfortunately my catalytic converter clogged, shot-up my EGR pipe and melted my intake manifold. Completly covered by the warrenty. Otherwise, very, very reliable. And the aftermarket is making some very affordable, as well as reliable go-fast goodies(!) for this 3800 engine.

Simple dash lay-out with no distracting silver rings around the gauges. Much easier to read at 55, without distracting color rings!

A factory trans-temp gauge would be nice, but since this car has ceased production, I would recomend a few aftermarket goodies. A lower 180 T- STAT + W-Pump pully & anti-pogo kit from ZZP, goodyear assurance plus tires, same type & DIA as stock, .4" wider ($20.00 more, but better traction in snow!)

Dont be fooled by its looks
By tankerman1919

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was in the army and this was my first car coming out. I now sell cars. Don't get the 3.4 Monte. It's no good. At 45K new tranny. At 60K intake leak. Now I've got lifter noise. But can't afford to have it fixed. I mean this car looked OK. But far from the best. I would rather have my old '89 Honda Civic again. At least I knew it would run everyday.

Steering is OK. The outside looks are sharp.

Get rid of all the plastics inside.

Disappointed for many reasons
By mw

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first brand new car ever! and I have some doubts if I will ever buy a Chevy product again. At 6000 miles the belts had to be replaced. At 12000 miles the steering shaft cracked and had to be replaced. by 16000 miles the water pump along with rotors/calipers had to be replaced. Around 22,000 miles it was the rotors again. 28,000 miles it was rotors/calipers and the A.B.S modules again. The car has 40,000 miles on it and rotors again. i live in chicago and im sure some it has to be city driving, but i really dont abuse this car at all. The interior design has improved over the previous model but mechanical it much worse.

Daytime running lamps. The 10 minute power option delay. 17-18 mpg in the city. That new car that had 7 miles on it, felt well built and had no problems. Enough power for city/highway driving,

Build quality and long term reliabilty. A dual cup holder in the fron. This car is very low to the ground. Maybe raise it

Best Car I Have or Will Ever Own
By Miss Q

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is my baby! I have had only one problem in 4.5 years which is a problem I have heard is very common in GM cars with this engine and that is the intake gasket. They really need to recall it and fix it. Other than that, no problems whatsoever and I have almost 90,000 on mine. I love it and will drive it until it literally falls apart. Then, I'll retire it and buy another!

Everything!

Fix the intake gasket problem...