1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Reliable, and Lots of Fun!
By roman238 on 01/14/13 00:18 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I no longer own this car, but I felt it deserved my review. Bought this car used in 2002 with 23,000 miles on her. At the time it was overall the best car I had ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. At 34k the rear seals went bad, (a common problem with the 3100 that year). At about 45k I replaced the brakes. The muffler cracked at 60k...replaced that. The gas tank at 64k and the water pump at 85k. I put new tires on when I first bought her, and they passed inspection in May 2012. Other than those repairs, all I did was change the oil and rotate the tires. In Nov. of 2012, I traded the old girl in on a 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 with only 45k which I will review as well. The best car I ever had!

Monte Carlo, Reliable for the price!
By NawlinsNative on 01/22/10 06:44 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Purchased in September, 2000, it has less than 25K miles on it. Other than maintenance, it has been perfect. Ten years of reliability. Will be soon passed on to our son in college in another state. We trust its reliability. The 3.1L still gets close to 30 mpg on hwy, 20 city. Just traveled to Ohio a few months ago. Smooth ride. Recommend this car for its value.

Decent
By Wade on 06/19/09 13:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I love driving this thing! However I have had major issues, alternator went once and nearly killed me the way it went off. I have also replaced the controls arms for three wheels. It gets really good mileage on the HW (nearly 30 most of the time) and around 18 for daily around the town use. I've also had issues with the brakes but nothing major. Good car for the price and after reading other reviews my experience seems to be an outlier. I love driving it though and I would be another if it came along.

10 years and going
By Alan on 09/03/08 19:23 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Never thought I would love a Chevy. Have my Monte for 10 years and 140k. Always reliable & comfortable. Usual repairs and maintenance and nothing too expensive. The one bother is the lights on the radio panel have gone out which makes the dash a bit less attractive. Impressed with GM, bought a Trailblazer and love that too.

Durable
By sbbarnes on 02/17/06 17:13 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Monte Carlo from my uncle who bought it new. It had a few minor oil leaks and some transmission leaks. It was easily fixed and now it currently has over 225,000 miles. Not one spot of rust, though some stone pecks. The doors haven't dropped at all. It is just as quiet as ever. This one has the 3100 engine. No problems yet. Though the gas mileage isn't as good. I average 24-27 mostly highway.

I Love My Monte
By Patricia Engelbrecht on 11/09/05 11:26 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I believe something happened to my car before I bought it...the front seats are NOT right. The time I asked them to be checked I was told they were normal...but I have checked other 1998 Monte Carlos and they are better. My husband is a big guy and he does not have much room. Besides this problem, I love my Monte Carlo. (I owned a 1985 Monte Carlo before I bought the 1998.)

All good but the transmission
By KennyCashmere on 12/21/04 13:51 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new as a leftover in August 1998. Now, in December 2004, with 90K miles, and after NO major repairs, it is still such a reliable, comfortable, and yes, economical car that I'm wondering if I should keep it AND buy a new one. Why buy a new one at all? The transmission gets stuck in second gear (won't upshift or downshift to first) when the car is very cold, and after five service visits to three separate dealers, they still don't know what's wrong. The new ones don't have standard ABS (cheesy!) like the '98 did, the transmission shifts roughly on the new ones, the brake pedal is too high on the new ones, the seats uncomfortable, etc. But the '98 has been a great car!

good family car
By energyguy on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

This is a good family car that gives you a break from the minivan. My Monte Carlo is a reasonable compromise between power and fuel economy for an american product. It lacks in sportiness in comparison to the older rear wheel drive models, but it has been a good choice as a second family vehicle used for daily work commuting.

Reliable car
By nascarfan3 on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

This has been a very reliable car for me. Had a new transmission put in around 90k because of something very rare. Mechanic had never seen it happen before, just a fluke. Have had no other problems. Still drives well and gets decent gas mileage.

My Car
By Lissa on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe

Great Car! Few small things, cup holders cheaply made, electrical system issues, otherwise no problems!