2015 Chevrolet Equinox SUV Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

ENGINE PROBLEM
By MISTY

2015 Chevrolet Equinox SUV L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

On my 2015 I only had 36,500 miles on my car and have had major problems with it. First I started hearing a noise from the engine dealer couldnt find the noise. I checked the oil and the car had no oil in it.I took it in and they redid the oil. A week later I was driving on the freeway and I lost speed. I could not go over 10 miles. I bearly made it home. Ive always had problem with this SUV with pick up speeds.It would never pick up speed on the freeway. And gas milage with eco boost does nothing for the car.Now my car sets at the dealer with transmission problems. Would I get another GM car this was my first . I cant say I would.

Very comfortable
By Elijah Meadows

2015 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 4-cyl. aren't very fast at all and don't accelerate that fast either. That could possibly be from it being on ECO mode but, I would recommend getting a V6 for some extra get up. It's roomy and comfortable. Great handling and entertainment features.

Just switched back to chevy
By just switched to chevy

2015 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have not owned a GM product for 20 years after being a die hard customer =switched to other brands due to poor quality. I purchased a used(15000mile) vehicle with AWD,Heated seats.rear with 2.4L engine. Car handles well and has a good ride but the fuel economy is well below stated range even with the eco. feature. GM ought to consider a super charged model for better mileage and acceleration.

very nice ride
By Joey Johnson

2015 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Superficial. Overpriced. Poor overall.
By Dan

2015 Chevrolet Equinox SUV L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I drove a rental for two weeks with only 33k miles on it while insurance is fixing cosmetic damage on my 2008 Toyota Scion XB RS 5. So this review is based on the differences along with other modern vehicles I have driven.

The good.

We like the stereo with XM, bluetooth, and touchscreen. Great backup camera and grid display. Works great, for us at least. I have seen others had many problems with this. I was also glad to feel that it has electric steering like our XB. The vehicle also looks really nice. And it is better than some other rentals we have had in the past.

The bad.

The Equinox has a 2.4L engine as does my XB. The Equinox steers very poorly, especially with sharp turns. I have to back up twice to turn around and pull out of my driveway. When turning right out of the driveway, it has to go halfway into the opposite lane. XB can do a sharp turn, no problem.

The acceleration is moody. Most of the time even with ECO off, it takes forever to get up to speed in comparison. However out of the blue, it will burn rubber for no reason with the traction control on, indicating the system is not working. It frequently hesitates during acceleration, causing a sore neck from the shock of it. When testing the acceleration when passing a car doing 35 in a 55 lane, even after flooring it took it a while to speed up. The computer's passing mode is virtually non-existent.

Gas mileage is very poor with ECO on. It averages 17-23 MPG when it is being pampered. My XB gets 24-28 city driving, even if driving it hard.

Seats are very uncomfortable in comparison. We have tried adjusting them, but even a short trip leaves your back stiff. I have driven across country twice in my XB, back never got sore.

The automatic lights would worry me if I owned it. They sometimes turn off after a minute or so. Other times they stay on for several. Online reviews said that many people have had their batteries drained from them staying on overnight and there was nothing they could do.

Random odors come out of the vents. It varies from new car, rotten egg, and twice it smelled like cat feces. I am not making this up, HONESTLY it does this. Do not know what is causing this. The rotten egg smell is likely a common problem from mildew buildup in the system. But the cat one is really strange.

I have had my daughter and friends love the look and felt excited about riding in it. Even one friend who love Chevrolet. But after being in it, they all said it sucks. Not making this up. It looks better than it is.

When reviewing the vehicle online, it has many complaints for barely being a year old and one safety TSB. It is plagued with electrical problems ranging from the stereo system, the automatic lights, and electric steering system failing. The airbags were just recalled as well. They have a tendency to rupture and sending metal fragments, which is an extreme hazard. Make sure yours were replaced if you end up with one.

Overall, I gave it two stars because I have been in worse rentals. I am happy for those who like it. I assume they must have been in many worse vehicles. But I have driven several other similar vehicles, and this is the worst one in this class. And the second worst modern vehicle I have ever driven.

GM needs to step up their quality control. I would be embarrassed to market a vehicle that clearly has several design problems ranging from comfort, safety and reliability.