2010 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
2010 AWD L4 LTZ Issues
By cdnuscarfan on 07/26/14 14:58 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Ordered this vehicle in before they were even in showrooms, it now has 60,000 miles, 100,000 Kms on it. We like the design but reliability from day one has been a problem. New motor, Rust at bottom of doors and rear hatch, small bolt on driver side power seat lumbar broke, front wheel bearing etc.. GM and my dealership have been great and fixed at no cost to me, however it has been in the shop often. What really concerns me is the felt material GM is using on all their new vehicles behind the front door hinges for sound deadening . We use salt on our roads and this material remains wet, salty, muddy and needs to be changed. I have removed ours and have not noticed an increase in noise.

unsafe problems reduced engine power/ service stabilitrac
By lindseytn32 on 02/12/14 06:11 AM (PST)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My vehicle has been great until it got cold outside and afraid its becoming a death trap. My vehicle has 83,000 miles and this winter my vehicle has decided to lower speed on its own no matter what speed im going.. I was on the interstate with my children doing 70mph and my vehicle violently started shaking the reduced engine power came on and service stabilitrac n immediately wouldn't let me decide the speed of my vehicle it dropped to 40mph and no faster there was no shpulder to pull off and had to drive it like that with people flying up on us scaring us to death. My dealership has tried a lot of things but this is still happening I can shut the car off and about three tries later it will

Best Vehicle I Have Owned
By mybestequinox on 10/12/13 05:08 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Drove all the way to White Plaines, NY to get the Equinox LTZ in Blue I wanted. 4 cyl (plenty of power), 2WD for maximum mileage. Drove to WI and back to FL on 4,000 mile trip and averaged 32.2 mpg. Smooth, reliable, roomy, quiet, efficient, fun to drive vehicle. Have owned over 35 vehicles to inlcude Corvette, Lexus, and Toyota and love this SUV. I stole it from my wife this morning just to get the chance to drive it. Had a noisy tick in the engine audible when outside of the vehicle, GM did the $3,000 repair for NC and provided rental and I have 49K miles on it. Runs quiet as a mouse. Great Car, Great Service, Great vaule.

Stalling at red lights, reaks of gas, service stabilitrak
By iusbsoccer3 on 10/04/13 16:56 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Same problem as many others. First and last Chevy, miss my Camry. Have had Equinox for only couple months and have had in it shops three times and nothing has been solved. First issues weeks after purchase was rough idle at red lights that felt like vehicle would stall and it smelled like a Ford Pinto. After complaining numerous times Chevy finally sent a letter describing the same issues and to take care to chevy dealer. I did and they replaced the entire high pressure fuel pump. Problem solved right? Days after check engine light comes on and stays on. Take vehicle to different chevy dealer they state other dealer screwed up. They fix issue. Weeks after same issues. Giving up and selling!

High Expectations... to Ho Hum
By jodeo on 09/14/13 15:02 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2010 Equinox in 3/2012. I really liked the exterior. My initial test drive was fine, despite being a 4 cyl. engine. As a commuter car it's fine, but in rush hour traffic it lacks the pep and verve I need to maneuver. As for pleasure rides, it's not pleasurable. It's a dad-mobile. It really is a rather dull car experience despite being attractive inside and out. I decided to sell mine after learning (too late) that these tend to consume oil rather quickly. I can't make it to my 3-month oil changes w/o adding a quart, sometimes more. The standard radio makes tweaking audio (bass/treble, balance/fader) a chore, requiring you to take your eyes off the road. And no compass? Bah.

so unhappy
By 50570 on 08/08/13 06:17 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I just brought a 2010 equinox and I been having problems with this suv sense day one which is crazy I feel like its not worth me making payments on. When I start it up it shakes until the vehicle idol down on top of that I keep hearing poppin sounds from the rear end sometimes when I go over a bump or just when Im driving. The check engine light came on and the next day it was off. I took this vehicle back to the dealership 5 times and its still not fix they was supposed to pick it up yesterday and they have not pick it up yet, Im so disappointed with the dealership as well as vehicle. I feel they should put me into another car or fix this thing cause Im unhappy with it. What can I do.

Eeks and knocks (it's real name)
By thedetailguy on 07/11/13 21:34 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Burned oil from day one. Never saw more than 22.5mpg out of this, Eco mode or not. Timing chain replaced at 20,000 miles along with 8 total (half of the valves). Driver seat lumbar broke not once but twice. Made a weird pop noise when warming up from exhaust area, alternator seemed too weak for the car, high pressure fuel pump, pistons and rings replaced at 38,200 miles, car sold back to dealer after this replacement at 10 miles later. Couldn't be happier to be out of that hell hole. Two engine tear downs at less than 4 years of age and 40,000 miles s. wow! No more Chevy for us!

Costs are skyrocketing! Not reliable.
By jbug5 on 07/03/13 17:34 PM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Got my 2010 equinox in Nov 2010, new. I didn't have the engine problems early. However in the last year, I have been back to the dealer a number of times. We live far from work, so it already has 110,000 miles, that means no more warranty and more out of pocket costs. The latest item to go is my stereo. The stereo includes the navigation, clock, radio, iPod hookup, Bluetooth, backup camera. Cost from the dealer to replace $1300! Dealer suggested I get an after market radio...but couldn't tell me if all the other stuff would work. Probably trade it in very soon. My last car, 1997 Audi a4, just kept on going...engine finally gave up at 225,000 and after 13 years. Now that's reliability.

Sad owner of an Equinox 2010
By maggienky on 06/25/13 08:04 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love this car but wait, if only the performance matched every thing else. It rides good, seats are fantastic, love the way it looks, has all kinds of room and has all kinds of problems. In the three years I have owned it, it has been in the shop at least 12 times and towed twice. They just replaced the engine after so many other problems. And now the transmission is giving me trouble.

Poor Reliability Packaged in Comfortable Riding Vehicle
By goldilocks2 on 06/24/13 04:08 AM (PDT)

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT2 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased brand new 2010 Chevy Equinox LT2 in March 2010. I had no problems with the car until 47,000 miles and then began to experience same engine problems reported by many owners on the Edmunds.com 2010 Chevrolet Equinox forum discussion: Rough sounding engine, threatening to stall when driving less than 20 mph or was idling. Dealer service center replaced drivetrain under warranty and air conditioner compressor. At 62,000 miles, needed 2nd drive train, so new dealer service center replaced engine. Now engine appears to work, but windshield wiper transmission blew at 69,000 miles, and actuator in air/heat unit needs replaced. This car is poor quality, but good ride. It is a money pit.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox in VA is:

$127 per month*