Used 1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series

View reviews for a specific C/K 1500 Series model:

Great to own a truck and Chevy again
By sstevek

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Now that there's room in the driveway I wanted a pickup truck. Mine is actually a '99, but looks like '98 with an engine of that year, a 5.0 V8 with an automatic transmission. Wanted a manual, but they're almost impossible to find with 4WD. I bought it in April 2013 with 156K on it. It runs great - the 5.0 V8 is fine for me. It will mostly be used for dump runs and hauling firewood. I'm used to driving a Subaru so gas consumption seems excessive - not a big deal though. I think the '94(?) to '98 design is one of the best. The truck is a pleasure to drive - there's some kind of charm and appeal to it. I'm surprised how well it handles - it doesn't feel ponderous. Visibility is excellent.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
I got an email asking to update the review. I no longer own this truck - traded it in for a 2WD Dodge Dakota due to the Silverado intermittently getting stuck in 4WD. The Dodge was OK, but due to circumstances I thought it was necessary to have 4WD again, and I was having a hard time getting comfortable in the much smaller cab of the Dodge. A family member potentially would need to borrow a vehicle. Because of where he lived at the time, I wanted him to have 4WD. So I bought and still have - a 2001 Silverado. This one is a keeper. Financially it certainly would have been better (and likely worth it) to put money into the '99. I still see many on the road and I'd still recommend one.

ABS
By Brad C

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I noticed several comments about the ABS on the 1999 models. It's a shame that GM didn't step up to the plate and address this issue. I've experienced light issues with the stereo backlights, major pain to fix. Also had issues with wind noise from front windshield molding. Also experienced wind noise through pop open window on 3rd door, another demon to fix since entire window has to be replaced (tell me GM didn't see this one coming) However, despite a few issues the truck is great, almost 200k miles and still doesn't use a drop of oil between changes.

Durability, styling

ABS system, wind noise issues, stereo lighting

BEWARE LH CAB CORNER ROT 1999 EXT CAB !!
By dave

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had 79, 89,and now1999 chevy trucks. This is my first 4x4 and ext cab model.This 1999 broke my heart. I bought the truck used with 87000 miles. As all my trucks it runs great with plenty of power. At about 100,000 miles the big surprise! While washing the left side cab corner and rocker, paint bubbled up everywhere and now at 117000 miles I've got a hole about 1.5 x6 inches long and growing! Local dealer had same year truck and yes it was just starting, to confirm I was not the only one! This problem is only on 3 door, new style 1999 LH(drivers side) cab corners! 2000 went to 4drs, no problems!! Buy 98 on down or 2000 on up! Rust stinks!

Power, looks, drivetrain realiability. Good resale value for 4x4 models

Thicker sheet metal! Interior seems noisy ,double door never seems solid when shut. Air leaks due to poor fit. Fuel pump and sending unit went bad at 115,000.

Awsome!
By z-totrod 4x4

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series K1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've only had this truck for three weeks but I can honestly say I love it. Awesome power, awesome ride, very tight. I drove the Fords, Dodges as well as others but found this Chevy to be superior to all. It's got 108,000 miles on it and drives like brand new. The rear seat also accomidates the 3 booster seats for my three kids very well!

Auto lights, interior comfort, but most of all the looks.

Nothing yet but will keep you posted

C/K1500
By wpowell

1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Series C1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it new in 1998. very nice truck. It's had a vibration since day one, and still has it from wheels or driveshaft?. I had driveshaft balanced, and wheels also. It has been very reliable, and the engine runs strong. Great brakes!

Engine, well built.

Vibration, better gas mileage, steering wheel tilt adjustment control