Used 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

Was expensive, but so worth it!
By Chelsea

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have a 1997 Chevy Cavalier, 4 door, white, and gets probably 37 MPG at least! This car has never let me down and is my girly! She's so reliable and I love this car! It's my first car and I'm only 18! We've never had to fix anything yet - except the fluids often - but that was because the car hadn't been moved for over a year, besides maybe the owner driving it around once in a while. Everything is better now! I hope to pass this car on to my kids when they are older! I bought this car at 70,700 miles. At 74,700 now! So I hope she holds up that long! Lol

Favorite Features

Comfort, STEREO SYSTEM!

Suggested Improvements

Power windows, locks. When I'm with my friends and the back seat is full it's a pain in the butt to go around and lock all the doors when I get home! Lol

182,000 and still going strong
By Artsy

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it came off a 1- yr lease and had 11,000 miles on it. Over the years have replaced alternator, gasket and thermostat (2x) Did basic oil changes, new tires. Now at 182,000 and the darned thing won't die. Currently getting 33mpg. Drives great, I feel safe in it, and it can plow through the deep snow of a Minnesota winter. Sometimes I'm the only one who makes it to work. Great little car.

Favorite Features

Has a lot of cargo room. With the back seats down, the trunk will hold 3 filing cabinets plus boxes.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers seat gets uncomfortable at about 6 hours of driving.

I will miss this car
By The Dude

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 for a steal of a price at 90,000 some miles. Mostly had regular maintenance done to it, The only thing I wish is I had known more about cars when I got it. I drove this thing though a flood, it performed a fancy winter move that saved my life and it has never broke down on me. Given the model type, plastic bumpers hit a lot by other cars and such yet no problem and engine size. It's at 161,000 right now but will probably only hit around 200,000. All and all I liked this car, but I am thinking I will good ford next due to GM's Bankruptcy.

Favorite Features

2,2 engine fuel efficient for it's year and lasts longer than small engines. Model is heavy for a fuel economy car, as well as having good handling. Transmission is flawless never a bad shift.

Suggested Improvements

The cooling system is good if it's really well taken care of otherwise not so much, the seats could be more comfy.

A base model isn't bad
By Revolver

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I really like my chevy the design is basic enough that you can change out parts easy. Plus all the parts are pretty cheap, the coolant system absolutely suxs. However, if that's all you have to worry about I suppose that's okay. Many people buy cavalier's because they are cheap if you get the base model. You'll be surprised what these things will endure. My went through a flood with no issues, if you keep up to date on the coolant system if will work in many different heats and colds. Mine is a 2.2 liter which sure beats a 1.9 or a 2.0 only thing is I wish the car where a little bit bigger in the front for easy access to parts other than that a good cheap car!

Favorite Features

Basic design that is reliable and the used prices on these cars are pretty good!

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine 2.4 would be pretty ideal, also a standard coolant system dex cool doesn't cut it!

LS Sedan
By BrandonK

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1997 Cavalier sedan since it was new, over 10 years ago and can honestly say I enjoy the vehicle. The engine still runs great with 178,000 miles. I've replaced the high beam light, alternator at 110,000 miles, water pump at 165,000 miles, and the power steering hose at 178,000 miles. I've performed the repairs with my dad, so labor was free, yet the parts only cost about 200.00 total, making the total cost of ownership very reasonable. I drive about 60% highway and usually change the oil every 5,000 miles. The vehicle has consistently averaged 30 MPG at around 40% city and 60% highway. I'm also 6 feet tall and think the vehicle has just the right about the leg room.

Favorite Features

It's fun to drive. Oh yes, I also think I must have a little Dutch in me, as this vehicle makes me smile when I think of the total cost of ownership.

Suggested Improvements

Chevrolet could improve on the comfort and the quality of a few internal components, such as the power outlet (cigarette lighter outlet), and the plastic side caps next to the seat recline lever.