1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:
1997 Camaro Z28 30th anniversary (z4c)
By racerbane09 on 10/01/12 20:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

i was searching on craigslist for a t-top z28, 93-97 body style since imo looks the meanest of all the camaros. when i ran into a white with hugger orange stripes z28 coupe. i checked it out in person and i was stunned at how cool it looked! ....tho its an old car, i have had plenty of people old and young tell me how cool my car is. tho the best complement was indirect by a kid, "cool mom look i want a car like that". .. performance wise car deff puts me back in my seat the auto is very responsive and car is just a head turner even with the imperfect paint and stripes. bought for 5400 and has been an awsome purchase so far only problems besides cosmetics are a bad radiator cap, later radi

Beware the T-Tops!
By CamaroGuy on 12/12/09 18:51 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

The GM purists claim the brand died out because of this new body style. This may be true, but as an owner of a 1986 and a 1997, this new design is a classic look nowadays. I get tons of looks in my screaming red ride. I am constantly asked what year it is...how big's the motr and such. The car is a blast to drive, but is not intended for comfort if you are over 5 foot 9. The only glaring problems is that the T-tops leak and the front side markers and fog lamps go bad quickly and are a pain to trouble shoot by the owner. My interior is ruined by the constant leaking of the T-tops, but I take the good with the bad. As a bonus, nothing rattles when you put a powerful system with 800w subs in it!

These 5.7's are monsters.
By The Z28 Guy on 11/25/09 17:59 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

Simply an awesome car. The 5.7's are torque monsters and are very fast for a 1997 muscle car. LT1's have more torque as compared to the LS1's higher top end, but if you ask me, I'de take torque over top end any day. Replaced water pump, optispark, and starter which is completely understandable. Put on aftermarket cold air intake, throttle body, headers and exhaust which unleashed the true beast under the hood. After putting on bolt on's I began using Castrol EDGE and it went from 288 HP to 318 HP on the dyno. If you want to help the 5.7 breath better and reach it's full potential than it is a must to put on a top of the line cold air and exhaust. Find one that is well maintained and buy it!

97 30th anniversary 2d coupe.
By Big Country on 10/14/09 19:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is amazing. The 3.8 combined with the 5spd tranny is awesome. I had a lot of doubts b4 I bought the car about the power but let me tell you, that v6 will put you back in the chair. I'm very satisfied. Definitely a great buy.

My son's first car -- I'm not crazy
By Hawaiidad on 07/28/08 00:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I bought it for my 17 year old, he loves it, his friends think I rock. They all drive foreign econoboxes or mom's hand-me-down. He now loves classic American sports cars. V6/auto, 29mpg, and insurance only went up $31/month. I had to replace water pump ($47) and front turn signal lens after shopping cart hit it -- parts easy and cheap online. What other 10-year old car can you buy for a teenager that he wouldn't trade for anything except a Vette?

182,000 miles and going strong
By ssbn622 on 06/03/08 01:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car was my wife's daily commuter for 8 years at over 100 miles a day freeway miles. Then it was my daughter's for three years, now it's mine to restore. Other than a new tranny at 150,000 miles it has been unbeatable for reliability. This car still moves when you put the pedal down, recommended to anyone who still relishes driving!

Impressed!
By Karma on 03/18/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

Not the most comfortable car. Definitely not for long road trips. Overall it's great car. We bought it from a college student who didn't know what he had. We took her in and have begun restoration. With an all new cooling system in place this car drives like an all american muscle car should. It has a growl all it's own. Clutch is a little far for someone in short stature (I'm 5'8") but it is worth the thrill.

Closet thing to a Corvette
By Mr. Hamm on 04/14/07 20:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Z28 2dr Coupe

This is my second Camaro. My first was a 1996 V6. Always wanted a Z28 every since I drove my friends '94. Don't let the age of these cars fool you, because the Z28's are still one of the meanest cars on the road. I still get the adrenaline rush everytime I floor it. If you're looking for an everyday driver, then you might want to buy an Accord or Camry. If you're looking for horsepower and speed, then this is the car for you. Glad to hear that GM will be bringing the Camaro back in 2009. Wish it was sooner.

The Best
By ann haley on 03/30/06 05:10 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2dr Coupe

Exceptional handling due to limited slip differential and performance handling pkg. Effortless to drive and shift. Power was always there when I needed it. The absolute best driving experience I have ever had. Couldn't help but smile every time she took a curve; the control you could always count on. Love the look of the 97. Problems - leaky transmission seal-GM Fixed. Spark plug wires - I fixed before the notice from GM regarding the problem. Transmission noise at around 50,000+ miles which the warranty should have covered but Wyler's warranty would not due to dispute between dealer that fixed problem and Wyler's warranty - I had to pay. Still, I adore that car! Hands down - the best!

Great Car
By Ron on 03/25/06 14:18 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

The 1997 Camaro RS is a very reliable car. I've had no problems mechanically or cosmetically. All it takes is some great care to keep any car in great shape. Definitely recommend this Camaro.