1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Family Hauler
By Chevy Fan on 12/21/08 19:35 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Bought from a frequent traveler with 98K on it. We now have 271K on it. Nothing unexpected - usual replacements of water pump fuel pump, trans rebuild, and so forth. Still no oil consumption. We use on trips for family of 4, plus it served as the "Mom wagon" for several years, racking up 300 miles a week. We are ready to let it go after a long service life. Everything still works. Needs a radiator, uses too much gas at today's prices. We got our money's worth.

Comfort and Size
By dave8697 on 02/25/08 17:53 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Original owner for 9.9 years. Have spent a few hundred to fix rear a/c and a few hundred to fix transmission. A rear bearing seal is leaking, the water pump was replaced, and the original battery spit out a terminal. It is easy on tires and brakes and the replacement battery so far. Took on 900 mile trip this month and got over 21 mpg and had room for everything without it being in your way. Interior has held up excellent, except recliner levers. Still solid, quiet, roomy and economical. You don't want to know the resale value unless you are buying a used one.

Happy With It
By yoyack on 07/28/07 17:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Bought new and its been very good. Count on the fuel pump going out. Mine did and so did every one in my employers fleet. It's big, comfortable and great on long drives. Power window, water pump and alternator replaced. Never overheated in 115 degree desert heat. Great A/C kept things cool inside. Wife likes this more than the Q45. Would buy again if reliability is as good as imports. Domestics just aren't there yet. Extend the warranty and significantly lower parts prices and I will buy another one. Parts for imports used to be expensive, now domestics are no different.

Could be better
By Bertha on 06/30/06 16:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Our '98 Astro seems to always need something fixed. Many of the up-keep has been expensive due to the area of parts on the van. At 115,000 miles, we were told its transmision is on its way out. Great. Would I buy this vehicle again? No way.

Great for travel
By asproule on 02/02/06 08:35 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

I have owned this same vehicle for the past 6.5 years. I have taken it on many long distance trips and found it quite exceptional. It is very comfortable and roomy for kids moving about, and for extra storing.

astro left behind
By r2 on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

A very reliable people/thing hauler. Great power from the 4.3. The old solid rear leaf spring made the older van a better ride than the current set-up. This van has a lot more rattles than my previous astro. My major concern is that the value loss is so high. You can buy one cheap but, plan to keep it.

Love my Astro
By helloed on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

My Astro is probably one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Besides a set of tires and a battery, I've never had a problem. It holds lots of stuff, people, or both. And then I can add a trailer. I have a smaller car I can use for road trips, but why? The front seats in the Astro are some of the best captains chairs I've ever sat in! The gas milage is great considering it weighs 2 tons. The best I've gotten is 26(!) MPG. It isn't a sports car by any means, but for a big metal brick, it handles quit well.

Never again
By trimom on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Maybe the dealership sold us a lemon, but we have had problems from day one. We had to replace our tires the first time at under 10,000 miles because we could not keep the alignment in check. This van is on its fourth set of tires and I have lost count of the alignments we have had done. We take good care of our cars as far as preventive maint., but this van has been nothing but trouble. By the way, it only has 49,000 miles on it. Other problems included air conditioning problems. I have rthe safety reviews of this van and it is listed as "poor". My suggestion is if you want a minivan, get a minivan.

Astros are iffy
By Clay Bum on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Everything went to hell at 60,000 miles... with me in it! It's been in the shop 6 times in the last two months. Every time I make any money it goes to my mechanic. As soon as I get back from SCI's New Years run I get to get the tranny fixed. Anyone want buy an Astro?

GREAT VAN
By scott on 11/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

GREAT VAN! The only thing this van needs is more horsepower and torque!