1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (61 reviews )
Caterror!
By dasmaedchen on 03/18/11 21:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

This has been the worst car I've ever owned. I bought it two years ago when I needed a car badly. I'd read a couple poor reviews but was persuaded to at least come look at the car. It looked brand new, had low mileage, and a nice price. I now know that the reason it looked brand new and had low mileage is probably because it was parked, broken, more than actually driven. It is pure garbage. It has had a coolant leak since shortly after I bought it. I have taken it to several different places including a dealership and nobody has been able to stop the leak. This among the many other things wrong with it. It would also randomly refuse to start and then 30 minutes later would start.

WORST CAR EVER MADE!!!
By GNico09 on 07/03/09 15:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Alright, Ever since I was in highschool, I loved this car. Finally found one and have spent more than I purchased it for ($4,500) on repairs. Its an electrical and mechanical nightmare. The engine is basically shot (needs new heads) Body control module (brain of the car) is shot, control arms are shot, differential is shot. Misc. electric options cease to work. The a/c barely works and the heater doesnt work at all even though ive spent hundreds of dollars trying to remedy it. Its over-heating and low oil pressure (more than likely b/c of the heads). And all that is just to name a little!! The sad part is I bought the car certified and have pampered this car with no love in return.

Absolutely the Worst Car Ever
By olive on 05/04/09 20:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

i bought this car in May of 2008 with 114,000 miles. First day i got the car, drove to someone's house, go to leave, car wouldn't start. Needed new starter, $334.Within a 11 months... rear main seal, $700. New battery, $100, new alternator $400. Cylinder missfire, $910. Speedometer and odometer went out. Power steering went out. Everytime i braked, steering wheel would jerk and pull car all over the road. Sometimes couldn't pull key out of ignition, have to keep shifting till it came out. Slow coolant leak. finally car would start again, engine problems. just parts estimated $1500. im junking the car. The list goes on. Do you need any more of a reason to NOT buy this car?

Turns on a Dime
By Kelly on 03/15/09 11:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my parents with 105,000 miles on it. It has been fun to drive. The major problem has been with oil leaking. I found a good mechanic who likes to work on this one. He said the engine is a really good one. It is so quiet and smooth you can hardly tell it is running when in idle at a stop light. I am selling for a newer 4x4 but will always like this car. I know it doesn't get the best reviews, but there are alot of nice features about this car. It is heavy and you feel safe and secure in it.

Run from this one.
By Dorothy on 03/14/09 21:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from dealer as a certified used vehicle with 42,000 miles. Service engine light on and off as well other indicator lights for no apparent reason. Long story short, at 80,000 miles everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. With a loss of apx. $4,500.00 in repairs, parked the thing, using it as lawn ornament. Engine and cooling system is crap. Cadillac offered $1000.00 rebate if we would buy a new cadillac. Needless to say you know what I told them. The Bose radio is great...What can you say. Run run run even if someone tries to give you this car, you will be doing fix and repair daily.

My biggest Mistake.
By kymika01 on 02/11/09 18:12 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

My husband and I purchased this car thinking that it was a cadillac, it had to be worth the money right? WRONG!!!! It has been a nightmare from the first week we owned it. We have put enough repair in it to have bought another car. It had a rebuilt engine only a couple of years ago and now we are junking it because yet again there are over 1k in repairs needed. I can not believe Cadillac ever allowed such a car to scar their name. I would NEVER own a cadillac again EVER!

Stay away from GM Products
By please buy my catera on 12/25/08 14:26 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

Consumers Reports has described this as a car as one to avoid. And now the subsequent CTS model is beginning to show the same reliability shortcomings. I've owned Honda and Toyotas in the past, and the difference in reliability is a stark contrast. Unless you have unlimited funds and patience, I'd suggest you avoid this car at all cost. This car is a perfect example of why GM is on the verge of bankrupcy, and why it's best that the American taxpayer should not be responsible for bailing them out!

German piece of...
By German piece of.... on 12/18/08 17:36 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've always liked the body style and actually fell in love. This car changed my driving habits (I actually became more patient and more aware of other drivers) but it didn't last long. I only got to enjoy my Catera for a year. After I bought it is when I found out is worthless. To this day I'm still paying on it but can't drive it. Overheated five days after I bought it (dealership paid for repair) transmission was slipping, engine started knocking, A/C quit, low gear would kick in automatically while stopped, and first battery died all of sudden for no reason.

Great Ride! I just purchased another
By Kevin like the Caddy on 10/12/08 20:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have 1998 Catera which was purchased with 74k miles and has preformed flawlessly for 31k (I enjoy this car so much I purchased a 2001 also). All normal maintenance has been preformed by an independent shop (I have never been to a dealer). My mechanic is a trusted professional that checks the Cadillac service bulletins and keeps it on the factory service schedule. He also checks the built in diagnostic tools by connecting a little computer to the car. This seems to be the most important item done to the car. The Catera's operating costs are less than my previous car, a brand new 05'Subaru STi, my same mechanic preformed service w/ warranty items to dealer.

Low cost to maintain
By Rich on 09/06/08 10:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Catera Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car cost me less to maintain over these past 10 years than any other car I ever owned.