Used 2014 BMW i3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW i3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific i3 model:

Some awesome things, some not so good.
By RobertRippee

2014 BMW i3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Range Extender (electric DD)

The electric I3 is at heart a great BMW car. It is fun to drive, roomy, handles well, and is quite stylish. The range is ok as long as you have a second gas powered car for trips because you're not taking this one anywhere out of town. The range is ok but you learn to change your operating style to maintain the charged batteries where you feel comfortable, for me I don't let it go below about 30% even with the REX. For an urban car its great for anywhere else, I'd think twice. I have had my car for nearly 1/2 year and generally like the car...would I buy another one? Maybe. Here's the rub: The technology is good but not great, the BMW i app that goes with the car is unimpressive; the ratings on the app store are surprisingly bad. It only has a few features that matter and those are pretty predictable. I'm really unimpressed with the integration with smart phone, I expected a lot more on an electric car (see TESLA). One would think, BMW Engineering would do a better job with an app on an all electric car. As to reliability: first, I had software problems with the entertainment system, the XM radio suddenly went dead. The car spent almost 10 days in the dealership while they tried to figure it out finally replacing just about everything...not good. Secondly the tires, this is the second set of Bridgestone's I've had problems with on a BMW. My first were the Bridgestone run flats on a previous late model M3, on that car I replaced 8 tires in 2.5 years for simple punctures. So far the i3 seems on track to beat that record. In 6 months I've already replaced 2 tires for simple punctures. (i3 has no spare) and the i3 are not run flat so the problem gets a whole lot worse. One would have thought that with no spare and no run flat, BMW would have required a highly reliable tire from Bridgestone...they didn't. So overall, a qualified recommend...urban car only, electronics and tire problems, weak mobile app but fun to drive, adequate range and peppy.

Ok car
By Steki Car

2014 BMW i3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

8 months and 7700 miles so far. It runs ok. Driving it on deep snow is a huge challenge. Almost impossible to control it. 80 miles in summer and around 60 miles in winter on one charge. Installed 240V, 32Amp, ClipperCreek charger. No problems at all, charges the car within 3.5 hours from empty to full.
Got it for 280/month with taxes for 12k miles per year. Car is not worth a cent over this price for lease. Already have uneven tire wear. More significant on rear than on front tires. I did not expect tires to last 60k miles but at least 20-25k miles. Stealership stated it is a "normal" tire wear. I almost expected them to offer me a lifetime oil change on this car, that is how knowledgeable they are. Wonder if they know any better ...

19 Months and Lovin' It!
By John Gerondelis

2014 BMW i3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

After reading some of the other reviews, I needed to speak up - it appears that either the purchasers did not research the car, or they are exaggerating. I have a BEV - no gas engine. I have driven the car more than 17,000 miles in the past 19 months. In that time, I have not had the car require service - there is nothing that goes wrong. Very simple. I will say that it is a city car - do not buy it if you are hauling a group of folks around the country. I have a Level 2 charger at home ($600 to $1,200 depending on the location and access of your service) - DOES NOT NEED TO BE A BMW-Branded charger (as some might make you believe). Never has taken more than 3-1/2 hours to charge (it will take 20 hours with a standard 120 volt plug). This is a perfect, quick, nimble ride. I love it! I traded a 535xi SW for this (which is a very different car). My other cars are a 325i and a Mini Cooper S. Recommend doing the overnight test drive offered by BMW if you are serious.

BUGGY
By James

2014 BMW i3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

do not BUY, car is very buggy. Will get warning lights every mnth, Engine light 4 times !
lots of flat tires reported
Tires are expensive.
Handling is like a golf cart

I3 the electrical failure
By Enrique Llanso

2014 BMW i3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Range Extender (electric DD)

Has abundant of electrical issues. Especially with the drive train. The vehicle went to the shop for over four times within a 50 day span and has yet to be resolved. My I3 is a LEMON.