1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
E39 best 5 series of all time!
By DMO on 11/04/07 16:12 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 30K on it after trading in my 328i. Still have it with 100K and it's been the best drive I ever had. Also own a 03 330 convertible and still like the solid, smooth ride and power curve of the 98. It's as tight as a drum, no rattles. All E39s need an aftermarket water pump at 50K due to the plastic impellar, thermostats every 30k, and a better cupholder which can be retrofitted in the change holder. I'm thinking of getting a new 3xi series, but can't bear parting with the 98. Oh yeah, no iDrive!!!

Bugs Still Not Worked Out
By Paul on 08/26/07 17:09 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

First, the good things: the 528i drives like the 3 series and is larger and heavier. Corners like a dream and is solid as a rock. As much as I hate to say it, BMW really over-engineered this car in many respects. So many unnecessary saftety features used. My 3-series had one thing go bad in 3 years-the oxygen sensor, thats it. My 528i has 130,000 miles on it and here is a list of things on the car that don't work: cruise control, rear window, sunroof, e-brake, catalytic converter broke and o2 sensor went out. Yes, it is true parts for BMWs are expensive, probably 2-3 times that of even other luxury cars. I feel betrayed. I hope this travesty is never allowed by BMW again.

Great Car, when not in the shop
By Bob on 07/12/06 10:40 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Have owned the car for a couple of years and seem to have a major (>$500) repair about every 6 months. Most of the previous posts highlight the poor quality cooling system parts (replaced) and window mechanism (twice replaced). I have also replaced the steering and a/c fan,. That said, it handles perfectly on the road. I am considering either a CPO 5-series or a Porsche now - both are always in the shop anyways.

Should not have bought new
By Jim on 08/31/05 17:15 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this new in '98 -- mistake, I should have bought used and saved some depreciation. The vehicle is trouble free. Below normal wear and tear-no real system failures. I still love driving the car and it looks great. The seats wear like iron-even with my considerable weight. At 121,000 miles it is tighter than my wife's Acura was new. I do agree that the cup holders are junk. I make several long trips a year and average over 30 mpg at speeds well in excess of posted. The braking and handling have saved my bacon several times in Atlanta traffic.

The best of all worlds
By j528i on 07/16/05 04:27 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

A classic vehicle that offers a truly sporty ride, with excellent highway handling, while comporting itself with that slow lingering class often found in high-tea cosmopolitan settings. Refined, elegant but full of secret agent type surprises.

My Bimmy !!
By Sultanbond on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my used 528I with 68616 miles and its just been a fun experience. I think the exterior design really attracted me to buying the car. The interior is in great shape with really good quality leather. Nevertheless, I think that for a luxury car of this price, the cupholders must go!! The stereo is just ok. Overall, this car is excellent!! It takes the same amount of money to buy a new domestic car or a used 3-5 year old BMW with low miles. My choice... Buy the Bimmer!!

Buy one now!
By Itstoobeautiful on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

The styling of the E39 is perfect-- understated, sensuous, mysterious, and with the right wheel package, subtly aggressive. Performance is incredible-- tracks through corners like it's on rails, accelerates quickly, cruises effortlessly at speed. Leather is buttery soft. This is the kind of car you will never tire of driving. Haven't had any mechanical issues yet. It will need routine maintenance and parts replaced as it has 100k miles on it. Still--it drives like it's brand new. Smooth, quiet, and fast. This car is just plain beautiful.

My wife hates it???
By L. Lindahl on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is the finest car I have ever owned. Recently we moved to NC where almost everyone drives a truck, so of course I talked my wife into trading in her 94 Volvo 850 turbo wagon in on a new Tundra which I now drive, giving her the privledge of driving the BMW. She hates it??? She claims the most comfortable seats in the world are hurting her legs, and the dash controls are too complicated. I keep offering to let her have the truck, but she doesn't want to drive something that big everyday. We will soon be trading in this beautiful classic for a new Cross Country, breaking my 18 year streak of owning BMW's. It's too bad the truck is so practical.

Worth the wait.....
By dlgseattle on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Friends in our small Midwest town cannot understand why I "settled" for this car when a new Chevy could have been purchased for the same price. If they could only drive this beauty, they would understand. The performance and handling of this car is pure joy compared to its American counterparts. In addition to being rock solid at 90+MPH (reflecting it's autobahn roots), it handles the tightest of curves like a steel rollercoaster. I can barely stand to drive the family minivan anymore!

The best car!
By TampaBMW on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome except for the old school windows on a pulley. The are expensive to replace!