Shame on BMW
By No More BMW on
1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan
What an expensive piece of junk! At 55000 miles, this garbage had nothing but problem after problem. The catalytic converters went (luckily covered under warranty), the engine had multiple oil leaks at different times, the power steering hoses leaked, the front control arms had to be replaced. On the inside, the power tilt stopped working, the driver's power seat stopped working, the electronic dash lights burned out to the point of being of the messages being illegible and the back cup holders wouldn't open. All of this happened while I pampered the car. I am somewhat of a fanantic about caring for my cars. I gave poor performance and fun to drive scores because I was afraid to drive it!
Favorite Features
When the thing was running right (rarely), it had a lot of power and handled well.
Suggested Improvements
A little quality would be nice. Besides for the constant repairs, the other notable improvement needed was the radio. It got terrible reception and the sound quality was below average. I had to give low comfort scores because the power tilt and driver's seat rarely worked, so I could not adjust them.