Used 2005 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Nightmare
By dan

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Coils, electrical system, various gaskets. The engine light on our car has been on constantly since we bought it. We put a lot of miles on our cars and my sense is that the Audi models just aren't built for the mileage. We bought extended warranty thankfully and our local dealership repair shop has been great to deal with, but sitting in the Audi repair shop is not my favorite pastime. We'll never buy an Audi again. Ever.

Favorite Features

Great looking car fun to drive and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Need to address reliability.

Audi is worth it
By ryaninohio

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My in-laws leased this car new and we bought out their lease after 3 years for a great price. I have owned 3 Hondas and a BMW 3 series previously, and this A4 is my favorite. Steering and handling are precise, AWD has been top notch in even heavy snow and the turbo 4-cyl provides plenty of power when you need it, but good fuel economy the rest of the time. My in- laws did have the transmission replaced under warranty, and I've had a coolant flange and a window regulator replaced under warranty. German cars can be like that, but the dealer/repair experience is first rate and makes up for the inconvenience. Both times I had the car back the same day. Cost/benefit is totally worth it.

Favorite Features

Safety, AWD, sound system, turbo, exhaust note, high quality materials, European driving feel, understated luxury, generous warranty/CPO program, dealership/repair experiences

Suggested Improvements

More head/leg room, quicker responding shiftronic, better cup holders for American market. In Germany, driving while sipping a drink is frowned upon and is illegal at high Autobahn speeds. I get it, but in America we like our cup holders! Let me go 140mph and I'll pull over for a sip!

A great used car
By 3timeaudiowner

2005 Audi A4 Sedan New 3.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this car used, a first for me. It is the third Audi I have owned, the second A4. A tremendous used value and more reliable than a BMW (I have had 3 of those, too). Smooth ride, great ergonomics, extremely comfortable. My only complaint is that the auto tranny has trouble finding 1st gear, it can be rough. Other than that, a tremendous road car with great performance that I recommend highly.

A Big Car In A Small Wrapper
By Spring Laker

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This review is on the 2005 3.0 A4 Quattro Sedan. I owned a previous generation A4 and this one blows it away. This B6 is larger in every way than the B5 model. I came out of a 03 Passat 4Motion into this and surprisingly the front and rear interior dimensions are almost identical. The only place you lose room in the A4 is the legroom in rear. (-2 inches) and the trunk. Hard to believe if you park them side by side. I think that is why this car is so fun to drive. It pushes the wheels to the edge of the car in each corner giving it great handling. The 3.0 has plenty of torque and acceleration while still avg. 23mpg w/ 50/50 hwy & city driving. Overall a great car and have had no issues

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, exhaust note, interior design, fit & finish of entire car.

Suggested Improvements

More rear legroom (Adressed on 2009 model) Sport seats as an option.

An Awesome Automobile
By ezrider

2005 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was attracted to the Audi A4 as an entry level luxury sedan primarily because it is one of the few that offer all wheel drive. The BMW 325xi was my other option, but turned out to be more expensive. I really like the look of the A4. The ride is smooth, quiet and firm. No rattles or shakes. Fit and finish is top notch. The warranty is generous, includes free maintenance to 50K miles.The sound system is excellent. Overall I am very happy with it so far ( owned it for 6 months). Planning to boost the HP by reprogramming the ECU.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive + traction control makes it fun to drive in the snow. Total control. Power driver seat with lumbar support, sliding box under driver seat, full size spare, large trunk with net, hooks, ski-bag, rear armrest with first-aid kit.

Suggested Improvements

170HP is not quite enough for this car- I plan to get the ECU upgraded ( "chipped" ) to bump it up. Front cupholders are useless and so is the cassette deck. I wish it had an Aux input to plug in my MP3 player.