1999 Audi A4 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Rev it up!
By nanonevol on 07/31/14 07:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Fun to drive. Handles great with AWD and goes right up snowy hills in Worcester. Overall solid feel to the car. Doesn't look like a 15 year old car at all and I don't do anything special to take care of it. Expensive repairs come with the deal - expect them. Wheel bearings (make sure your wheels are balanced and car aligned), flex pipes, dirt in ABS sensor lights the dash. Dash is currently lit up like a Christmas tree. I'll miss it but I'm scrapping it with too many repairs needed for an '06 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD (I MUST have AWD)

Quater Million Miles and still going strong!
By djdan75 on 01/05/14 15:42 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I got a great deal on the car in 2006 and planned on driving it for a year and then selling it to make some profit. I was blown away after the first winter driving this car in Northeast Ohio. After 245k the paint still looks new there's no rust the engine runs great the transmission shifts perfectly.. my only complaint is that I have been through 6 wheel bearings and 8 control arms.. I was told by my mechanic get used to the oil leak that is just the Audi way of marking its territory.. there is nothing on this car that is cheap to repair. even though I paid cash for my car I still consider the repairs to be a monthly car payment. But still my favorite car

keeps going and going..
By gmbh on 07/26/12 12:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought this car from the original owner in May of '09 with 129k on the meter. Three years later at 160k we still enjoy this car. As with any of the other Euro cars we've owned (two BMW's, Volvo S60) there are a few maintenance items that many people grumble about, but this car still runs as if it were new. Yes, the parts and repairs are expensive, but the end result is pride of ownership and reliability which you don't get from, as an example-a 13-year old Taurus with 160k on it!

MISTAKE
By mnels on 02/20/12 19:09 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is a terrible car. Do not do it. I sold my Lincoln hoping the AWD would help me out in the winter and I sold the car within 2 months of having it. My clutch was bad, the back axles were screechy (500 fix), wiring for blinker was bad (200 fix), the CD player didn't work right, the tape player ate tapes, the cigerrete lighter wouldn't open(I couldn't charge my phone or gps) one of the rear windows wouldn't roll up or down, the display screen was broken, the bumper began to fall off after 2 weeks, the buttons were coming off on the key fob.. AWFUL

207,000 and still runs strong!!!
By lockburner2000 on 07/07/11 22:21 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car and a blast to drive. There easy to fix if you know anything about cars. Buy aftermarket parts online and it is cheap to keep on the road. Still org. motor and trans. Just keep her tuned up and it will treat you well. I dont care what make you have it will need work at some point like wheel bearings and ball joints and tie rods. The only thing that gets me is the oil leaking it is with all 2.8 engines. Have the new gaskets put in when the timming service is done and it will save you a pile of money. I have a 98 and my wife drives a 99 with 160,000 miles.

Still love the car
By Car Guy on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought my Audi 2.8 AWD car with 70k on it about 5 years ago. I have had the usual issues that "all" Audi consumers experience. Control Arms, brakes Axel wheel bearings and tie rods. Skid plate clips broke away so I removed it in the spring, and by the summer the AC compressor had failed because of water and other road elements. I am also convinced that older Audi's dump engine exhaust heat into the cabin which annoying in the summer. With all that, you would think that I strongly disapprove of the car but on the contrary, I love the performance, AWD, winter and summer driving is always fun and plan to purchase my 7th one this winter. before you buy ask about timing belt, suspension..

Solid little car
By b5 obsessor on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

So after my Saab 9000 died, I got my little Audi, and I have been loving itt since. I've put a couple of thousand miles on it, and I love it. Quattro has actually saved my life, and the car is definitely one of the most solid feeling cars that I've ever been in. I love how this car has attracted a cult of modders, if I ever need anything, I just go on the forums and do the diy, the 1.8t is vital, and the automatic just kills the whole experience because turbo+manual+quattro= some slightly illegal amazingness.

Quattro!
By raudi on 07/18/10 12:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car handles like no other car I have driven in my life. The Audi grips and grips, and that more than makes up for the lack of power from the 1.8t. I have more confidence in the handling and the solidity of the Audi. The only thing that I've had to replace is a window regulator on my car. It cost 250, but that was reasonable.

First Time Audi Buyer
By Tommy on 06/25/10 15:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I liked the car because of the brand (big fan) and how it looks good and the ability of the Quattro system. Bought a 10 year old car for about $10K. I've owned it for 16 mos. I disliked it because I've spent over $5,500 in repairs. It didn't have problem at first month but afterward, timing belt $1.5K, bearings changed all of them @ $700, twice in LR wheel within 1 year, CV shafts $500, flex pipe $400, spark plugs+wire set twice bc engine stutters 200 etc. The worst is my car was put in all the money, there's more to fix ABS Module $400, engine oil leak and clutch $2.5K, brake pad worn signal, rear axle leak etc. and then some guy totaled my car on the hwy. ALL $$$ I put in, gone.

Just keep up with maintenance. easy
By NetoLopez on 05/29/10 10:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car about a year ago, since then I've only needed to replace the timing belt. no mayor problems the only things that have been replaced are parts that any other car replacement is needed. i do most of the work myself. the Quattro system is awesome all year round also the turbo is strong (just check you oil on every gas fill up) this German car is built to last. at 160 HP i keep up with cars that have 20 HP or 30 Hp more then me, i do not recommend the A4 to people who don't know about cars. I don't think i want to sell it.