1997 Acura RL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RL model:
Basically very reliable
By Brad Gardner on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

Bought the car at 29,000 miles and now have 144,000 miles. The only problems have been both back window motors, front struts went out at about 85,000, rear struts are also out. Now, i have a broken motor mount somehow to the tune of $725.00. I have really enjoyed the car, though it does have poor cornering manners. Recommend replacing the timing belt as called for in the manual.

Rock Solid
By Rob on 02/22/08 21:26 PM (PST)

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

Bought the car as a lease return. The car has a great ride along with good road feel. Didn't have a repair until it had over 140k. I now have 169K. The leather interior still has no cracks. I use 87 octane gas. No problem. I can't find a good reason to buy another car. The 3.5 RL has lousy resale making it the best value in used car value.

Quality Vehicle
By sdem on 12/28/07 17:48 PM (PST)

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

I was running through Edmunds while looking to purchase my wife a new Acura and thought i'd place a review in for my acura. i can't say anything bad about it. i bought it used in 2000 and it's now 10 years old and still looks incredible. friends are baffled on how well it looks, how well it drives and how reliable it is. need i say more.

Great Left Brain Car!!!
By Joe on 02/17/06 00:09 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

This car is very Reliable,comfortable,roomy,and did I mention reliable, but that is pretty much it.The window regulator in the rear driver window went out and some bulbs in the dash, but that's it!The car is built well enough and is Reliable!NO soul stirring emotion though.You could take it home to meet mom but is a lousy date!!!This has got to be the most boring car I have ever owned.The engine is slow off the line and it corners like a hearse,but it's reliable!I recommend it for the reliability but that's it.It screams HONDA and is not worth the original sticker.Good thing I bought it used and only for business.It is a passionless yet reliable car!!!

'97 RL
By LoveMy RL on 03/12/05 01:04 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 80k, it now has 180k. What a car! Nothing similar in looks, quality, or drive. Quality all-over. Love this car, will probably buy a newer one. No major troubles after 180k. Interior is spaceous, great car. Can't say enough about it. Two items on wish list though, bigger engine, what's up with the EGR ports? Cleaning them evey 20k, what are they? Is it the lower gas quality? other then that, this car drives like a thoroughbred horse. Only suggestion to you--- buy one.

More than enough.
By Glove on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

After washing, the shine off the pearl white is priceless. this is truly a sexy automobile. Although the RL is a dog at the line, its acceleration while already moving is terrific. the 3.5 v6 is great for highway driving but lack a little from 0 mph+. The interior is durable and classy, enough wood enough leather. I do hear a clunking noise whenever i go over a bump but my mechanic doesnt seem to think its anything to worry about (he has no clue what it is). The sunroof has a problem with the electronic STOP mechanism adn the left fog light is out. i think for a car thats 6 yrs old this is a smart choice if you want luxury you can use!

Excellence for the money
By joepcrowley on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

I have had it a few years and with the exception of a blown fuse one time. I have not had to do a thing to it. But it is almost brake time. What a fun comfortable car.

Love It!!!!!
By Prettyklassy on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

I brought an older car because I wanted something decent. Im so glad I didnt go with the Infinity Q45, I love this car! The wheel is soft but I see no other flaws. Wonderful!

best car for your dollar
By corey on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

Acura RL 97 has served me well. Never had any real problems. As long as you maintain (oil changes and proper servicing) you will have no problems. Had for 2 yrs and just bought 740iL but RL was better car believe ir or not. Cd changer in center console RL has, front wheel drive, smooth ride, good fuel efficiency, V6 engine is sufficient unless you're Mario Andretti

Driven into the ground
By KHolub on 11/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Acura RL 3.5 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1997 3.5RL w/ 38K in 2000 and three year and 60K miles later I still enjoy the car. The exterior paint and interior fit/finish have held up well-(it gets pampered at the car wash weekly). The only complaint I have with the car is that It seems to eat brakes every 15-19K miles. Houston's traffic may not help. Look forward to owning a 2005,hopefully with a V8&navigation system.