2019 Volvo XC40 Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC40 model:

Perfect Small SUV
By Kelly

2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We love this car. It's our first Volvo. Really like the adaptive cruise control, auto high beam headlights that move with the steering wheel, heated steering wheel, the panoramic sunroof that has a self-closing shade when the car gets too hot. I find the layout of the controls to be very intuitive. Love the touch screen with simple home button just like a tablet. It's small with a tight turning radius that makes it easy to maneuver. The back storage is brilliant with easy ability to subdivide to keep things from rolling around. It remembers the side mirrors position along with the seat position for each driver. Didn't think I'd care about it, but like the different driving modes; regularly change it between Comfort, Dynamic and Eco. I get better than the EPA gas mileage. Oh, and it has a built in trash can. Seriously, why doesn't every car have that?

Brilliant small SUV, perfect if a few tweaks
By Rebecca Caldwell

2019 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned Toyotas, Hondas, Fords, Subarus and Chevy's (this is my first Volvo but my 19th vehicle). This is BY FAR my favorite. Let me qualify my review by saying I have no kids and rarely take passengers other than a couple large dogs so wanted an AWD SUV that was compact but did not lack any of the larger SUV perks and got good gas mileage while still having get-up-and-go. This is the only SUV I found that gives you the same options as the larger SUVs (I'm a gadget snob) while still giving you a decent size engine to get you there as quick as you want with good gas mileage (for an SUV). This does every bit of what I was looking for and does it in still. It is truly a fun car to drive and am so happy I got it. The pros FAR FAR FAR FAR outweigh any of the petty first-world issues I have come across, most of which are to be expected on a first-model year vehicle. The only issues I can find are as follows: CELL PHONE CHARGING: 1) The wireless charger is pretty useless as there is no ventilation in the compartment so it overheats within minutes, 2) with a larger phone (I have a Note 8) you cannot wirelessly charge the phone and use Android Auto (which requires you to use a cable) as there isn't enough physical space, 3) the port to use Android Auto is not fast charging so if you cannot use the wireless charger while using Android Auto, you essentially cannot charge your phone, 4) the only fast charging port in the vehicle is the USB-C facing the rear seats in the center console; LANE KEEP: 1) I find myself "fighting" the lane keep assistant as it picks up cracks in the road and is a bit hyper-sensitive at times, even set on the lowest/mildest setting; PANORAMIC MOONROOF: 1) uses a multi-function button that can be overly sensitive and opens things you didn't intend, 2) the screen doesn't always close completely, which may be in part due to the multi-function button trying to open the vent end of the moonroof; DRIVING MODE SETTINGS: 1) The XC40 allows you to set and save individual driving settings (everything from seats to display appearances and driving preferences) and recognizes the driver by the key fob used but, even with this, you still have to change the driving mode setting every time you get in the car (eco mode, performance, etc) - you would think you could make that a default setting with the others; and, finally A/C: 1) other manufacturers have vehicles that do not start air blowing from vents until the air coming out is cool (for A/C) or warm (for heat) but Volvo does not do this so went you turn on the A/C you get outside temp air until the system blows it through and gets to the cool/warm air. OVERALL IMPRESSION: I love this SUV and with a few minor tweaks think it could be the perfect car. I look forward to seeing the coming model years and the perfection that is sure to come.

Beware
By Robert

2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Had the car for two months
It has been to the dealer twice already with less than 1000 miles on it
Volvo’s roadside assistance is the worst I have ever encountered
This car did not seem ready for production and delivery
It appears to not have been inspected
Extremely disappointed

Incredible sporty SUV
By Anna

2019 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Volvo really thought of everything for this car. Ladies -- sick of your purse flying around on the passenger's side while you drive? No worries, there's a hook for that, and more shopping bag hooks in the cargo area to keep bags from rolling around with their contents. The car is nearly silent on your average road. Just the slight hum of acceleration, but there is remarkably little wind or road noise, even on the bumpiest, loudest roads. In fact, people I talk to on the phone joke that they know exactly when I'm maneuvering the car because they can hear things that are normally hidden by the white noise of the engine and road. We found the infotainment system to be very logically designed. It functions very similarly to a smartphone. In fact, the settings quick access buttons on the touchscreen feel very reminiscent of the android pull-down settings menu. After a week, using it feels very natural. My one gripe is that I wish the 360 camera were easier to access quickly. It will appear automatically when it senses I'm parking between two cars, but when I'm pulling into my very tight garage or straight into a parking spot, I have to manually pull it up. Not a big deal -- just takes 2 seconds, but hopefully there will be a shortcut option on future iterations. Auto-park is wonderfully helpful for tight spaces. The upgraded sound system is excellent -- coming from an audiophile. The self-driving features are wonderful for the highway and really serve to reduce fatigue by keeping you in the lane and following the car in front of you at a given distance. We really enjoy the highly customizable driver profiles that can both be programmed to a specific key and overridden through the settings menu. One thing that I found slightly annoying in city traffic was that by default, the auto parking brake enabled at every full stop. This results in a bit of a "jerking" when you press the gas pedal, as the brake un-engages and the engine re-starts. I disabled the feature and it doesn't bother me anymore. However, I can certainly see how this feature would be useful for hilly areas where you don't want to roll forward or backwards if you lighten up on the brakes. The back seat has more room than any other car in this class that we test drove. It feels more like a mid-sized SUV in terms of space and seat elevation. After reading a ton of reviews online, I have to say that most reviewers' gripes about this car are really non-issues in the long-run. We specifically looked out for all of the things that were identified as possible cons and haven't actually been able to identify many of them as real cons since we've been driving the car regularly. Bottom line: It's a really solid, well-designed car that's a lot of fun to drive and handle.

Packs a punch
By Wilbert

2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Was in the market for an XC60, test drove this baby @ Volvo of North Miami, and fell in love with it. The Tech, is unmatched and the safety features which come standard, sets it apart from the competition. With the relocation of the A-pilar in the back seat, rear passengers will have a lot of leg room. Weston Volvo, had a helpful and knowledgeable staff. I was able to get a great deal on this compact SUV. This vehicle is well worth the purchase.