2019 Volvo XC40 Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2019 Volvo XC40 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC40 model:

Beware
By Robert

2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Had the car for two months
It has been to the dealer twice already with less than 1000 miles on it
Volvo’s roadside assistance is the worst I have ever encountered
This car did not seem ready for production and delivery
It appears to not have been inspected
Extremely disappointed

Incredible sporty SUV
By Anna

2019 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Volvo really thought of everything for this car. Ladies -- sick of your purse flying around on the passenger's side while you drive? No worries, there's a hook for that, and more shopping bag hooks in the cargo area to keep bags from rolling around with their contents. The car is nearly silent on your average road. Just the slight hum of acceleration, but there is remarkably little wind or road noise, even on the bumpiest, loudest roads. In fact, people I talk to on the phone joke that they know exactly when I'm maneuvering the car because they can hear things that are normally hidden by the white noise of the engine and road. We found the infotainment system to be very logically designed. It functions very similarly to a smartphone. In fact, the settings quick access buttons on the touchscreen feel very reminiscent of the android pull-down settings menu. After a week, using it feels very natural. My one gripe is that I wish the 360 camera were easier to access quickly. It will appear automatically when it senses I'm parking between two cars, but when I'm pulling into my very tight garage or straight into a parking spot, I have to manually pull it up. Not a big deal -- just takes 2 seconds, but hopefully there will be a shortcut option on future iterations. Auto-park is wonderfully helpful for tight spaces. The upgraded sound system is excellent -- coming from an audiophile. The self-driving features are wonderful for the highway and really serve to reduce fatigue by keeping you in the lane and following the car in front of you at a given distance. We really enjoy the highly customizable driver profiles that can both be programmed to a specific key and overridden through the settings menu. One thing that I found slightly annoying in city traffic was that by default, the auto parking brake enabled at every full stop. This results in a bit of a "jerking" when you press the gas pedal, as the brake un-engages and the engine re-starts. I disabled the feature and it doesn't bother me anymore. However, I can certainly see how this feature would be useful for hilly areas where you don't want to roll forward or backwards if you lighten up on the brakes. The back seat has more room than any other car in this class that we test drove. It feels more like a mid-sized SUV in terms of space and seat elevation. After reading a ton of reviews online, I have to say that most reviewers' gripes about this car are really non-issues in the long-run. We specifically looked out for all of the things that were identified as possible cons and haven't actually been able to identify many of them as real cons since we've been driving the car regularly. Bottom line: It's a really solid, well-designed car that's a lot of fun to drive and handle.

Packs a punch
By Wilbert

2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Was in the market for an XC60, test drove this baby @ Volvo of North Miami, and fell in love with it. The Tech, is unmatched and the safety features which come standard, sets it apart from the competition. With the relocation of the A-pilar in the back seat, rear passengers will have a lot of leg room. Weston Volvo, had a helpful and knowledgeable staff. I was able to get a great deal on this compact SUV. This vehicle is well worth the purchase.