Used 2001 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Fun until the electrical system acts up
By Justin lewis

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I owned a 2001 V70 Xc for two years 30 minutes off a lot of a Volvo dealership and boom!!! Etm issues , Thankfully they fixed it but it took two days to get it back I got it back it ran fine regular oil changes then!!! My check engine light comes on I took it for a obd2 read and they said it was a turbocharger problem. Had that fixed then started having electrical issues up the arse!!! Headlights wouldn't come on the info screen said electrical maintenance required, airbag warning coolant low turn off vehicle warning even though the coolant was topped off . the thing that screwed seriously up was the transmission it said transmission maintenance required I let the car sit for a week turn it on and then it runs fine until I go down a hill and blow my turbo . that is the day I scrapped it and bought a 1990 240 dl lol never had a problem since

She’s Gives What Ashe Gets
By Take Care Of Your Car

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My 2001 V70xc has been amazing for me. I bought it with 150,000 miles on it, but it had a good maintenance history to start. I got it and over a year and a few mo the have put 65,000 miles on it through the worst roads Michigan’s road commission could throw at it. Bumps, potholes, dirt roads, you name it this car has been great. It was actually better than my outback in he snow and that’s saying a lot. Maintenance is not cheap but it’s a car and I have a mechanic I trust. I have done the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, 4 new tires, brakes, control arm bushings, transmission pan gasket. This car has the most comfortable seats for long journeys of any car I’ve ever been in.

01 xc70
By Zac

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I recently bought this as my first owned car as I need the space to car my stuff 800+ miles to and from school a few times a year. It has a very good amount of space and some of storage solutions are very good and innovative. Its had a few issues here and there but if you do your own work and don't mess it up like I did it's not to expensive. I've heard about trans issues but if your careful it should be fine. Also watch for a clogged oil pick up line, cheap and fairly easy diy or 5-600$ at a dealership. They also can have issues with the rear hatch harness, also easy to fix, I'd recommend leaving the two 90 degree bends in the rear pillar unclipped to keep it from reoccurring. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the car and it's been incredibly comfy on long drives. It's not a sports car by any stretch but it can get out of its way. It rides a little firmer than most luxury cars as volvos seem to always do but they do pay off with good road holding. I love this car.

WORST CAR I've Owned and I've owned a YUGO.
By Brad

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The 2001 V70XC is absolutely the worst car I have ever owned or driven and I did once own a YUGO. So I think that sums it up. No one will touch this piece of junk and the most bizarre problems occur. Car has repeatedly been in the shop throughout my ownership, has almost gotten me into many, many accidents due to severe transmission problems, stalling and overheating. I think I have replaced every part on the car including the engine and transmission and most sensors and they fail again and again. Now the electrical system and information system is totally messed up. At this point I could have bought 3 brand new Chevrolets and I'm cutting my losses. This is also the worst driving car I have ever driven. It will give someone whiplash with the transmission jerking and lurching. Not even worth the recycling. I wouldn't want to curse the other items they might make out of the scrap. Never buy another Volvo period. When I see someone driving one, I can't help but pity them. AND, my model was made in Sweden. Every repair shop tells me VOLVO is JUNK and the worst nightmares to work on.
No wonder only Doctors or Lawyers can own them. They're the only ones who can afford the upkeep.
I do have to say that regardless of how bad it has performed and how costly it has been, in spite of all it's problems and stranding me, it always manages to get me home. But then again I never drive it more than 25 miles away from home. I really do think that my Angels have often pushed it safely home. No thanks to VOLVO. How did YUGO go bankrupt and Volvo get rich???

2001 Volvo v70xc awd