Used 1999 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

An excellent used car buy
By Chris

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I bought my '99 V70 Base Wagon with about 160,000 miles on it, including all the maintenance and repair receipts since it was new. It now has about 214,000 miles. It still has the original muffler and exhaust system, starter, alternator, radiator and clutch. The A/C works great and has never been recharged. Most cars would have had all of those replaced by now. The engine and transmission have been rock solid. (The manual transmissions will last forever - the automatics, not so much.) The engine holds 5 quarts, instead of 4 like most smaller engines. It's never used more than a quart in 5000 miles. Mileage has been between 20 and 25 around town, and about 30 on long trips. The 5-banger has plenty of power - any more, and I'd be getting speeding tickets. I have used the V70 to tow numerous cars on a dolly, including other V70s! The seats are the most comfortable I've ever sat in, and the visibility is terrific. Maintenance, while I have had it: The wiring harness to the back hatch - it flexes when it's opened and closed, and had several broken wires when I bought the car. The brake pads are finally getting down, after 50K or more miles. The driver's seat vinyl is finally starting to crack. Not bad for 19 years old. The oil filter will pour oil on your hand when you take it off, every time. Use a disposable glove. The radiator shroud is made of fiberglass, and it gives me an itchy rash if I ever rest my arm on it. The biggest complaint that I have is the squeaking dash, which is worse when it's cold. There is one mounting point that tends to break after a few years. It's a common characteristic of this model. It can be repaired (if you are a bit daring and handy) by a bolt through the firewall. This is a great used car, especially if you like to fix the little things (like light bulbs and brake pads) every now and then. Those little characteristics just give it character and personality. I've had lots of cars over the last 34 years, and the V70 is certainly one of my favorites. It's very dependable, roomy without being oversized, is almost as useful as a pickup, had decent economy, is fun to drive and is a classic, instead of trying to be trendy. It finds the middle ground between luxury, economy and practicality without giving up anything for safety. I would expect it to last well beyond 300K, unless it gets hit by a semi.

piece of [non-permissible content removed]
By lou gerrick

1999 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

electrical nightmare===constant problems with sensors,computers,dashboard lites indicating system failure=constant money pit-cant resell because everyone is aware of the failures-shame on Volvo for making such a poor quality vehicle--

THATS ONE GREAT CAR
By Barbara

1999 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

There isn’t one thing that anyone needs to know this CR is the best in its class and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Great Catch
By Peter Mamagona

1999 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

These are great cars if your mildly mechanically inclined. This is my second I just recently purchased and she is a real gem.

A Once and A Lifetime Car
By C.P. Richter

1999 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 1999 Volvo XC and it is the best car I can literally ever think of owning. With over 140,000 miles, it still runs great. It had no problem a journey from Virginia to Oklahoma (1100 miles) and it wouldnt even cross my mind not driving it back and forth more often. If anyone has ever been to Oklahoma, you would know that the roads here are horrible: potholes everywhere, loose gravel, ect. This car doesnt have any problems. Also, everyone i talk to absolutely loves the look of the 1999 XC; its somewhat rugged and hard-core. I couldnt imagine owning any other car! Anyone considering a Volvo, please make a wise decision...choose the volvo.