Used 2008 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Smallest Volvo with huge inside!
By Sue Winners

2008 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The back seats fold flat giving huge space in back! 2 GSD's (big german shephard dogs) LOVE riding in back. (Windows not droolproof.) Gorgeous paint 10yrs outside parked. GREAT acceleration from 5 cyl engine... MORE than enough. Turbo feeling but not a turbo. Go figure. Large comfortable for 5'8" person. Tall guy (6'2") hates it. (No worries he wants to drive it.) Easy in and out (somehow??) Great MPG. Feel safe inside. Take good care of it and it will reciprocate!

AC only problem
By Bill Mc

2008 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

188,000 miles. AC replaced 2 times. Struts replaced once. All other regular maintenance. Including breaks.

S40
By Jim Wade

2008 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Fun to drive Plenty of pep. Handles like a dream.

Love my Volvo S40 b/c it is reliable and strong
By Courtney B.

2008 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2008 S40 Volvo used in 2009. I love this car. It has a few quirks. First, the radio was super stylish in 2009, but now I wish it was easier to upgrade. Second, it goes through batteries. I haven't had the tire issues others complain of. The REALLY good news is that I've been in two accidents and just shook them off. Someone plowed into me and you can barely tell. It's got that Volvo strength. Second, I haven't had any mechanical issues. I get it looked at by the dealer once a year, but outside of tire and battery replacements, I haven't had to deal with anything beyond regular upkeep. I love this car and I want to keep it forever, assuming I can figure out a way to upgrade the radio. It's so reliable. It still runs great at 10 years old.

Too many problems for the cost
By chicommuter

2008 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car in 2011 with only 16,000 miles and had it back in the shop within 3 weeks to fix the driver side door which wouldn't latch.
Subsequently have had it in the shop twice (wouldn't start due to programming issue and grinding noise while cornering).
Now have to replace all tires @ 30k miles which the shop told me is common for this model.