Used 2017 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Golf for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

His name is Mulligan

Midwest Josh, 04/17/2020
TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First, I bought a 2016 Golf with the large sunroof that always leaked. VW bought that car back, and I selected a 2017 w/o a sunroof that had been a dealership loaner. This car is perfect for 90% of drivers, 90% of the time. Solid on the road, very fast with the 1.8 turbo. Mileage is mid 30's on almost every tank. A few long road trips touched 42 mpg. Massive cargo room with the rear seats folded down. Plans are to keep Mully for 10 years, I see no reason to look for anything new. Simply a wonderful driving machine. 4/20/21 Update - just hit 60,000, and just paid off the note! Potholes in Michigan led to some recent suspension work, but otherwise the car is rock solid. Twice now I've needed to drive the 1600 miles round trip to South Carolina and back, the car makes the journey so easy. Plus it hauls a ton of stuff. I'll say it again - this car is perfect for 90% of drivers, 90% of the time.

Fantastic Hatchback!

Mike, 04/19/2020
TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I got my 2017 Golf S in April 2018 & it has been fantastic! I’ve put 20,000 miles on it in 2 years with no problems. Living in Oklahoma, I’ve driven it to Cleveland, OH, then to Phoenix, AZ & Riverside, CA. This car is very comfortable on the interstate, back highways & city streets. I’ve been surprised by power this Golf has. While I averaged 39.7 on the trips, it’s been getting 30-35 mpg combined, depending on traffic. Wind also has an outsized effect on mileage. It is extremely easy to park. Even though most people think it would be, cargo space is not an issue. I put a new lawn mower, still in the box, in the back without having to put the back seats down. I grew up with a ‘67 VW Westphalia Camper van, ‘70 Squareback wagon & ‘74 Beetle that I bought from my folks. Since then I’ve owned a German spec ‘76 Scirocco, ‘99 Passat, now the ‘17 Golf. Of all these, while the others were right for that time, the Golf is by far the most utilitarian & most efficient.

4 out of 5 stars

One of the best cars I’ve owned

Cleomanth , 09/22/2020
TSI Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The golf has a really nice interior at a really great price vw was offering mine for $21k on thanksgiving. They throw in lots of features that other cars at the price point don’t have like leatherette seats blind spot warning panoramic sunroof. It also was really quick but has a horrible transmission that is slow shifting and lazy. It handled exceptional and had good brakes. U also get standard one touch all windows electric driver and passenger seats lumbar on both front seats rain sensing wipers paddle shifters and rear air which no hatchback at that price point has those. The visibility is fine but I have blind spot monitoring and backup camera so it doesn’t matter. I upgrade my sound system to fender which is one of the best sound systems I’ve heard in a car mind u I’ve never really been in luxury cars but compared to what Ford Chevy and kias etc have to offer. My only problem I’ve had so far is minor electrical issues that don’t really affect the car at all 90% of the time I was able to fix them myself in a minute. Although my transmission went out but I was driving like it was stolen. This car handles so well I’ve drifted it sideways by flooring it at a stoplight and turning and I kept it in control. Mind you at the time this was the fastest car I’ve driven so it’s super easy to learn to drive with. It’s also great at whipping through traffic it’s so easy to speed really fast and cut everyone off safely. If you need to get to your destination fast take a golf it accelerates quick handles well and you can tune it for even more power. It got good gas mileage too not the best but still good. I got a new car recently and I don’t wanna get rid of the golf it’s such a fun car to drive. Someone also backed into me and it was ruled 50/50 even tho it was their fault and they hit me pretty hard but there was barely even a dent not even a scratch you can’t even notice it unless I point it out. I’ve had it for 3 years and there is no squeaks and rattles and everything still feels very solid. Only complaints are I wish it had the DSG but then it would feel too much like a GTI and it’d be kinda dumb to get a GTI.

3 out of 5 stars

Best buy for the money!

Nicholas Adams, 10/09/2017
TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Has the same features (except leather seats and sunroof) as my Toyota Camry SE. Only....Camry has a 2.5L engine with 168HP. Golf has 1.8L engine with 170HP!

Love it

Luis, 10/16/2017
TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Outstanding car value for its price. Real quality at a bargain fair price!