Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Was great for 10 years
By Sarah Jencks

2002 Volkswagen Golf GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drove my car for around town and longhaul occasionally. I only commuted with it four out of 14 years. It has only 88000 miles, and in the last three years, it has gone down the drain. I still love it, though.

Good run
By little_eva

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new in 2002 after 14 great years with a Jetta. I've now had 15 years with it and at 138,000 miles, it's still in pretty good shape despite my carelessness. I have hauled too much landscaping material and broke the springs driving over potholes. Replaced the full set of tires twice but have not replaced the brakes or any other costly items. There is some rust on the body around the wheels - cost of living in a wintery environment and not washing it enough. This car has FWD and has performed well when the snow is less than 5 inches on the road. Fun to drive - lots of pep and handles corners well. Tight turning radius very helpful for u-turns. Good gas mileage. I'm spoiled.
This car has more bells/whistles than the Jetta did. It's too smart as it locks itself at 5 mph or within a few minutes of me parking. Bluetooth and navigation systems were invented after I bought this car; no loss to me. It's comfortable for me to drive in the city, as I am short, but cramped for long drives and hard for passengers with long legs/big feet to get in/out. I've been happy with the dealer maintenance but VW is expensive. They have given me some work arounds as VW will now fix your car with non-VW parts if you ask.

Poor choice
By dbasler

2002 Volkswagen Golf GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I realize we made a bad decision buying this car without having our mechanic look at it.
We bought it with 135,000 miles and drove it for a year.
It chugged oil with no visible leaks.
In the 12 months we replaced the key/ignition $300, both headlights $20 each, transmission $2200, wheel bearing $300, tires $1000, 1 of the alignment control bars $150, dipstick tube $45, and AC compressor $900.
It failed emissions after all this and then a lady ran a red light and totalled it for us.
Thank you lady.
Put the thing out of its misery.

Fun to drive though.

In the 2 door the passenger seat tears up the front seat belt cover when lifted.

AWESOME CAR!
By doc5339

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 4dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I never really liked Volkswagens, but I have really fallen in love with this car. I purchased the Golf with over 150,000 miles on it, and have no issues, other than scheduled maintenance and wear and tear replacement parts. Had to replace the Glow Plug Wiring Harness because it was throwing Codes.

The car has over 215,000 miles on it now, and still gets 43 MPG average, 46+ highway; probably will get 50 MPG if you can force yourself to drive the speed limit on the highway.

Why buy a hybrid, when the batteries will fail when this TDI engine is just hitting its peak? Unless you drive 100% city, stay away from hybrids, TDI is the route to go for great fuel economy and long-term durability.

Fuel economy, fun to drive, lots of storage room in hatchback. Pretty comfortable for 4 people. Engine Durability is amazing! Get the Manual Transmission, not the Automatic. This HEUI Fuel Injection with VE Fuel Pump is perfect for Biodiesel or a WVO Conversion. If you want AWESOME mileage, get a TDI from 2000-2006. 2007+ models have all of the EPA particulate crap killing the fuel economy.

Plastic quality is pretty bad overall. VW plastics have a de-lamination issue that they need to fix. I still see the same issue on 2012 VWs. The center armrest is crappy; I had to replace with a cheap Chinese copy of the same crappy quality. VW really should do better with the details.

VW Golf pros and cons
By achh

2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a used 02 golf its safe good engine fun car to drive. I would take it over anything american car. My recommendation to anyone buying vw cars get them brand new. Repairing them once your warranty is exspensive and a pain in the [violative content deleted]. Sensors constantly have to be replaced. Ill be looking to buy a new car. While I like the 2011 jetta tdi the repair cost once the warranty expires will be through the roof because its a turbo diesel engine. Im a pass on vw you get great service from the dealer and they offer loaners if available. But you should for the service cost thats charged. Enough a Enough im getting a honda. Hope this is helpful for anyone buying a vw.

Vw are made in germany the weather is similar to the midwest. Too many eletrical and sensor problems. They dont last long term the way honda and toyota do. Mayby they never will because of all the eletrical components. I had my golf for six years so you could say I got my money worth. But I also put my money into it with repairs. Oh well.