2017 Volkswagen Golf R Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Volkswagen Golf R Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf R model:

Broken engine before 2nd Oil Change
By Nelson

2017 Volkswagen Golf R w/DCC and Navigation 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought our 2017 Golf R as a weekend/road trip car and I was super satisfied with it's performance. I babied it for the first couple thousand miles as advised and I was very meticulous about maintenance, well I finally decided to give it a nice spirited drive on the highway on a late Saturday night. BIG MISTAKE!!! It had exactly 7,701 miles on the odometer as I did a full throttle acceleration from 40 mph, we heard a few loud POPS, I immediately let off the gas, and as I pulled over it sounded like a bunch of rocks in a clothes dryer! I towed it to the dealership the following Monday, I was told the engine block cracked severely!! Well I was confident thinking my warranty would cover a new block when VW decides to VOID MY WARRANTY!!! They lied and said I had an aftermarket tune that was not covered! A complete lie. I had no modifications done, everything was stock but they say otherwise. I currently have a lawyer fighting VW for me as I don't plan on making these big car payments for a horrible product stuck in my garage! plus we put a big down payment to drive it off the lot! It's already been 3 months, hopefully my problem gets resolved soon.

Little Wolf in Sheeps Clothing
By Bull

2017 Volkswagen Golf R w/DCC and Navigation 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The Dealer network is horrible, But this is one of the best cars I ever owned. I owned all the german makes (spent well over 100K on many cars) and this is the most fun, I have put another 10K in performance mods and it's amazing.

Great car with one big design flaw
By nital1

This is a true driver's hatch. However, there is one major design flaw that has resulted in my poor review. Note that the front lower corners are openings which offer no protection to the components behind. I have experienced, and so have others incidences where roadside debris punctures the radiator resulting in a broken car. Recommend buyers keep this in mind - there are several workarounds for this but not something that is part of the original design.

Golf R
By Ken Brenner

This could be the best sleeper care on the road. Looks are classic, performance is outstanding and technology is great. Driving is just plain fun, shifting through the gears feeling the pull of acceleration while handling the road like it's on rails. This is the best car I have owned. It also can be tuned and modified to your hearts content.

A total blast
By Andrew Wilson

Have had it for 5 months and enjoyed every minute. More comfortable and practical in day to day driving than I had expected and even more fun than expected when driving for fun. All round a great car.