Used 2009 Volkswagen Eos Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Eos Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eos model:

TIMING CHAIN BREAKS NEW MOTOR REQUIRED
By Tim

2009 Volkswagen Eos Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I would like to express how disappointed I am with Volkswagen and my VW 2009 EOS Komfort. DO NOT PURCHASE ONE THESE VEHICLES UNLESS YOU WANT TO PUT AN EXPENSIVE NEW MOTOR IN THE VEHICLE AT SOME POINT BEFORE IT HITS 100,000 miles.

My issue with Volkswagen/Audi is the common problem with the timing chain in many Volkswagen (VW) and Audi models manufactured between 2008 and 2013. They have a serious engine defect where the timing chain will break and cause to severe engine damage that costs thousands of dollars to fix. Can you please explain this to me why there has not been a recall on all these vehicles.

2008-2010 and 2012 VW Beetle
2008-2012 Audi TT
2010-2012 Audi Q3
2009-2012 Audi Q5
2012 Audi Q7

I have had such timing chain malfunctions, that bend valves and result in extensive engine damage that it can not fixed and only option is to install a new/used engine. My vehicle is a VW 2009 EOS Komfort. Now I am without a vehicle and have an estimate of $6,000.00 to have the engine replaced. This was from an independent mechanic shop. When I talked to the Baxter Volkswagen LaVista, NE dealership, they informed me that I needed to have them look at the motor at a cost of $495.00, to tell me something that my independent mechanic told me for free, that the engine was not repairable. Then they informed me that it would cost $8,000.00 to have a new engine put in the vehicle versus then $6,000.00 from the independent mechanic shop. To me this is completely ridiculous, as no fault of mine this vehicle engine failed me. Can you explain to me why a vehicle with less than $90,000 miles would have this problem? Why so many other, of the vehicle listed above, have had this problem and nothing has been done about it. Why has a recall not been made?

If Volkswagen had any integrity they would listen to their customers. With the lack of support from the Baxter Volkswagen LaVista, NE dealership and VW of America I will now longer be a customer for any Volkswagen.

Great initial thoughts on eos at 50k.
By ed conway

2009 Volkswagen Eos Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

my first month with low milage eos has been great and it has continued thru the next year and 20 thousand miles.

Great Little car
By K F

2009 Volkswagen Eos Lux 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car is fun and great on gas. It has a zippy S-transmission that gives you the feel of a manual with the ease of an Automatic. It didn't come with an owner's manual so I am not sure how to use many of the entertainment functions which is frustrating. The interior is leather which gets VERY hot in the summer. The interior was used well and I am adjusting to the missing pieces. I love how this car drives and love the convertible/sunroof option. The dealership I purchased from gave me a good deal and I would buy from them again!

Problem free for 72K miles!
By rcboater

2009 Volkswagen Eos Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my car new in May 2009.
Car is now 5 years old, and we've put 50,000 fun-filled miles on it.
MPG is pretty good, too.
On the highway, I get 32 MPG.
In my mixed suburban driving,
I will get about 28 if I drive normally,
but have gotten as high as 35 on the same route by driving conservatively.
My car has never leaked- but I paid heed to the advice on the owner forums to lubricate the roof seals annually, to keep them soft and pliable. (That's a 20 minute job.) I've had NO issues with the mechanical aspects of the car-- to date, the only thing outside of regular scheduled fluid changes was new rear brake pads at 31K miles.
UPDATE: Now up to 68K miles, all still good. Rear brake pads again at 60K.
My only real complaint with the car goes back to how VW packaged the options in 2009. Back then, to get the leather seats and steering wheel audio controls, you had to buy the Lux, which meant you got an automatic. I wanted the manual, which meant I had to have the Komfort, which couldn't have those other options. I do love my manual Tx- so it was the right choice, but I wish VW had been more flexible in the optioning.
UPDATE: Now up to 75K miles all good. I did go ahead and proactively have the timing belt tensioner replaced, now that the extended warranty has expired. I decided the $1100 cost was worth it to prevent a potential catastrophic engine failure. NOT happy that VW won't issue a recall on this. I won't go into details, but google VW timing belt tensioner for the full story.

this is the one!
By atlanticdave

2009 Volkswagen Eos Komfort 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

unlike so many other folks who seem to have owned nothing but foreign cars, i have only ever driving u.s.-made cars...and, although i know that american cars are essentially now the best they've ever been the quality they've ever been, i have to say i have never owned or driven anything as nice as this car...i am saddened that not all of us have had positive experiences...i purchased it three years old, with 14,000 miles on it...and i just want to say, so far,
so GREAT! nice ride, nice interior comfort, great sound system, very head-turning and eye-catching, plenty of acceleration, i recommend this car without hesitation! i have driven it 6,000 miles, and have nothing but positive things

to say about it...love the mp 3 player, love the satellite radio, love the inlet for my ipod, the moonroof along with the hard-top convertible is a unique and amazing combination! it is exceptionally quiet-it is the fourth convertible i've owned, and it is just so much better than anything i have owned before! the heated front seats are fantastic, especially for a new england winter, and it truly makes driving fun!

i would like if it had cruise and volume controls in the steering wheels...those are nice touches in nicer cars, of which this is one