Used 2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific e-Golf model:

No more ICE
By Minka vB

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Never go back to internal combustion engine(ICE)!! Electric is here to stay and will get better every year.

Gas free diet!
By P Adl

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Review update after almost 3 yrs. Really like this car, but the real limitation is the range and it's slow charging. BW should have figured an update to existing 2015/16/17 card and they would be keepers. New ones have 125 m range and faster charge, and that is better, but to be useful for SoCal area, 200 m range is minimum for a successful electric car. Everything else is as previous reviee below.

Range is not that great, but everything else is! I test drove most of the smaller EVs, the Fiat, the Smart car, the Leaf, the BMW, etc. The best handling/driving one was the e-Golf. So I got it and have been driving it now for a year and three months and enjoying it more every day. I work very close to home and one charge can keep me going for around two weeks with a few excursions, i.e. driving to shops and running errands (all close). I did manage just over 105 miles with level 3 regeneration, and max limited power but it was slow going. VW has free charging at their locations and I use them since one is close to my home and if one is on my way, I stop, charge and catch up with emails using their WiFi. I find it to be the most practical of all the smaller lower cost EVs out there because it is roomy, comfortable, reasonable luggage capacity, with all the bells and whistles I could want. The 2017 has better range, 120 Miles is what I was told. That would let me drive to San Diego easily (if I spend the night to recharge)!
UPDATE: 14th March 2018 - Now have 6500 miles. Bad news is VW decided to shut down their charging access! Terrible customer relation move if you ask me. They claimed many were fighting over the charge spot, but I almost always found it available when I went. They could have made money charging non customers to use it, but they chose to just shut it down - VERY DISAPPOINTING! Anyway, I still like the car, especially since I work just a couple of miles from work and one charge lasts a couple of weeks. Well, I tried a run to San Diego, and in my earlier review, I lied! It would NOT let me drive to San Diego easily! I just barely made it. It was sniffing electrons to make a 75 mile trip. It told me I had '0' miles for the last 2.8 miles!! After an overnight and half a day charge, I drove home one eco mode (limited to 75MPH with slower acceleration) with full regeneration settings and made it home with 3 miles to spare. The car still feels very tight, as it should with only 6500 miles on it. Has not needed any service other than a recall software update. Only problem I have has is the radio volume jumps up and down when I try to adjust it. Everything else feels and runs/works great. My 105 mile trip is still my record, but do not want to drive that slowly, for a trip again. After 2+ years, I am very happy with my decision to get this car, fun to drive, performs when I want it to and amazingly economical both for energy usage and maintenance!

e-Golf is a fraud.
By angel bou

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

- Customer service won't help unless your attorney calls.
- My e-Golf broke the 4th day and it's been being repaired for a month now. Still waiting. They don't even know what's wrong...
- No loaner provided. No compensation. But yeah, I keep paying the lease despite not driving my car for a month
- Buy a Volt, a Leaf or a Tesla. Don't even think on a e-Golf. Don't ever consider a Volkswagen.

Time Delayed Charging Feature-Forced to Use CARNET
By Marc Hartranft

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Limited Edition 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

NOVEMBER 2018 UPDATE:
I have logged just over 45,000 miles as a daily (75 miles round trip) commuter with the e-Golf. This has been a fantastic car with minimal maintenance requirements and perfect road reliability. Still fun to drive with never having to pump gas in the middle of the night or change oil every few months!

The ONLY gripe with this car is VW's insistence that one must use CARNET software interface to enable time delayed charging feature@!!

Talk about greedy!! Once the free use period runs out, they will begin to charge to use this web interface.

Why would VW set up the car to not be able to support Level II chargers which support time delayed charge start times??

The dealer was "uninformed" or unwilling to disclose the limitation.

e-Golf is an unreliable NIGHTMARE
By John Smith

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Limited Edition 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

This car does not charge properly. The range is a complete lie. It might be able to go 50 miles on a charge - nowhere near the range of the lie on the sticker. Acceleration is abysmal. I had a leaf that I traded in and am so sorry I did. VW has been a complete nightmare to deal with. Both the dealership and horrible people at VW customer service. If you want a crappy car that will leave you stranded, from a horrible company, you should immediately get an e-Golf.