Used 2012 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Trd
By Danny

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Good truck

Great Realiable Truck
By MrW

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

This was a city truck for several years. We lived in the burbs and I commuted daily with it. Tires, Oil and Gas are the only thing it needed. I love this truck. Obviously you don't buy a full-sized truck for it's mpg, which is the only negative i can say about it. The acceleration was surprisingly quick for a vehicle it's size. While driving it around in tight city streets, I found it handled its size and weight extremely well. I never felt it wallowing around the lane, drifting lazily. No it stayed on it's line and moved. In snow, it's average until you engage 4WD. With 4WD on, this thing is a freight train and feels like it's on rails. I HAVE recommended the tundra to many people. My only reason for selling is a growing family. But I'll always have the good 'ol days with my tundra.

ivery hard starting when cold just like on you tub
By Leonard

2012 Toyota Tundra Limited FFV 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Very hard starts when cold Engine just keeps cranking and it may start eventually. The dealership is the very worst in st cloud mn as far as support for this issue. Big waste of money to buy a nice Lemon truck, it may start fine when engine is warm but from a dead overnight start forget it starting normally. Some say its a flex fuel thing that toyota will not stand behind or will fully ignore you when you mention this issue, plus even if it starts great once than on the 6th or 7th start it'll start all over again. (what a MESS, NIGHTMARE, and LEMON issue for a buyer that spent $26000 for and a dealer that wont listen or a company like Toyota that ignores you. Please consider Chev or GMC or even Ford. You'll same yourself a huge headache

Had the Rest - Now gotta Tundra
By RicheD

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Just thought I would update my review - I have now owed my Certified Used Tundra for two-years now. I am just as happy as the day I got it. No check engine lights and no problems. I wish I would have switched to Toyota years ago and saved myself some weekends of not working on vehicles and lots of headaches. This truck has made multiple trips to Florida and many to the Midwest and is a joy to drive. Toyotas cost a little more but, they hold their value, and they stand the test of time.

I am to the point in my life where owning a quality vehicle that I don't have to worry about is first and foremost. I don't have to worry about my vehicle being labeled as a "rolling sarcophagi", or "disfiguring", or wondering what kind of defect my vehicle has and how it's going to kill me....lol

Do your research first!!
By New Chevy Owner

2012 Toyota Tundra Tundra 4dr Double Cab SB (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my brand new Toyota Tundra SR5 double cab 4.6L in 2012 from a local dealership. Two weeks ago my check engine and TRC OFF lights came on so I rushed to a nearby Toyota dealership an hour later the service tech approached me to explain that my secondary air injection valves were closed reason why my truck would only get up to 40mph and felt bogged down. He then informed me it could be a matter of resetting the computer and the valves could reset themselves and I will just be out $100.00 for the computer testing. Or my air injection valve assembly could be bad. Another hour later he returns to tell me resetting the computer did not work and I would need to replace the air injection valves if I got it repaired there and right away it would be $2,500.00 if not $2,800.00. Between all of this fiasco they are trying to sell me a new truck I need to mention. So after me asking a million questions he then says its nothing I did NO NEGLECT on my part to my truck it's a manufacturer issue but unfortunately my truck is not covered under the recall/warranty. The recall/warranty is only on the 5.7L Tundras so after lots of research I have found Toyota has had many issues with this valve system since early 2000.

I went to the dealership where I bought the truck and was told unfortunately I just have really bad luck and I could be 1 out of 10,000 people this happens to then of course they kept me their trying to sell me a new truck. I do need to mention my truck is still at the dealership that diagnosed my truck originally. Then I'm told we can not help you at dealership level you have to call corporate. I call corporate and they made a case but then of course pointed the finger at the dealership.

Bottom line Toyota YOU bought a faulty manufactured part YOU need to take ownership of it, it is not my fault your vehicles have rust issues, break issues, airbag issues and air injection valve issues.

I have never been so rudely mistreated like this by a company that supposedly has great customer service...NOT TRUE at all. They care about one thing and one thing only their bottom line and profit.

This was the first Toyota I have ever owned and needless to say it will be my last.
My truck had 130k miles on it and I owe 5k on it, now I have to put 3k into it....BS!