2017 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

POOR CHOICE ON SELECTING A VEHICLE, FOOL ME ONCE..
By Bob Duncan

2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This truck has no power and can't seem to find the correct gear. It bogs down so much that I use the manual select lever to change gears. It's been to the dealer twice who tells me that this is "normal" operation. The electronic control module went bad at 200 miles. The drivers seat is uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of. The 4 wheel drive doesn't work correctly but no need to have it checked at the dealer as I'm sure it's "normal". The 3.5 engine is a POS, they should have stuck with the 4.0, much better engine. I want to test drive the next vehicle I get for at least a weekend, not just a trip around the block. The problem is there are no such thing as a mechanic anymore. You have part changers at the dealership who only know what the computer tells them and can't diagnose a real problem. Glad I leased this pile so I can give it back in 36 months.

Nothing Gets More Manly...
By Christopher

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

"Rowing through the gears (Stick Shift) with a bed behind you and 4WD frame beneath you, it does not get more manly than that."

Oh what a feeling...Toyota
By Luisrsantiago88@bellsouth.net

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I waited to make this review after 1 year of driving. I love the high stance and ground clearance that have always made Tacoma’s stand apart. So far I love driving it. I am happy with the power and the peace of mind knowing it will last me many years of trouble free driving. After all, it’s the same engine found in Lexus, Sienna, Highlander and Camry. I agree the transmission likes to shift to the next gear quickly but I am getting decent mileage. Averaging 21-22mpg on regular fuel. If I get tired of the early shifting, I can press the ECT button and I’ve got plenty of power to keep or pass fellow motorists with ease. I can tell the interior material will last. The cloth seats and interior plastic feel very durable. I personally love the seating position. Toyota could put a little more features in the vehicle but the lack of cutting edge features is what helps keep Toyota reliable. Love the power sliding rear window. I get plenty of compliments.

Under-powered & transmission in Tacoma Disappoints
By Eric Flora

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Make sure you don't expect the mileage n the window. I have purchased three other Toyotas, and one in 2016, they have always met the mileage ratings this one fall s at least 20% below. Transmission is seems to shift all of the time, and unless I am going down hill seems to really suck the gas. The truck is clearly too heavy for the engine. I had a Dodge Ram with a 318 back in the 90's and this is better than that but this is disappointing. I added 200 lb fiberglass SnugTop cap and added two leafs under the rear springs because when on highway on corners the truck pulled hard with the rear end suspension designed as it was on the TRD Off Road. I blame engineers that probably didn't drive this after they worked up the specs. You should be able to make an off road that handles highway curves better. I wouldn't buy the Tundra because the gas mileage is even worse. In 1994 I had a 1989 Chevy Silverado pickup with long box not extended cap but was every bit as heavy as this truck actually heavier and would get avg 19.5 mpg, I get 17.3-17.5 avg on my Tacoma with Atkins cycle engine and thats with a lot of highway miles in that mileage.

Can’t beat a Toyota
By Mike

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

It’s everything you need in a truck, love the sport model