2017 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

New is not better!
By Joseph Coates

2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

be sure that you know the changes for the new style. the console glovebox is now useless because it is too far back. the truck is WAY to high. the bed is way to high. wish I had my 2012 back...………...I DO NOT LIKE THIS TRUCK AT ALL.

Happy Tacoma Owner
By Susan

2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The tacoma is comfortable but basic. Mine has no extra bells and whistles which is what I like. It is easy to drive and sometimes forget that I'm driving a truck!

TOP NOTCH TOYOTA
By SAM KIMBALL

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Great truck. Truck replaced a 2003 Tacoma. Totally different truck from that one; different in a good way. Very comfortable ride, tows better, more power and better fuel economy. More creature comforts. Even though I miss the old one I am totally happy with the new one. Plan on keeping it for years.
<div><br></div>

Should Have Had Longer Test Drive
By Kevin

2017 Toyota Tacoma SR 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle based mostly on Toyotas reputation. I have 13500 miles on the vehicle and the engine has always had a stutter during idle, and it seems to be pulling itself apart from its motor mounts on acceleration. Toyota should not offer a 4 cylinder on a truck this big. It is downright unsafe. I can hardly merge into traffic. The suspension is overly stiff and has about thrown me off the road before when hitting a series of small pot holes on the interstate. I know it is a truck, but there needs to be some dampening. It does a poor job of handling corners. This is all unloaded. I have not even bothered to put any type of load in the vehicle. Today the blower fan went out completely and suddenly with a horrible noise in 95 degree weather. I pulled the part out and of course a cheap plastic insert connection to the drive shaft sheared off. This type of connection should be reinforced - unacceptable, and cutting corners in a bad way - of course made in China. Dealer is back ordered on the replacement. Did I mention I only have 13500 miles on the vehicle. As I was complaining this morning my wife showed me a recall for the rear drive coupling. Really!

Worst POS mid-sized truck out there
By Ovidiu Ifrim

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Consumer Reports named this POS "worst mid-sized truck"...they are right on the money. Bought a 2017 TRD Off Road V6 manual in November 2016, had problems almost from the beginning. Among the many I've had or have: stumbling/hesitation on acceleration, horrible fuel mileage (under 16mpg combined, no towing, no hard driving), horrible pinging/knocking/clutch shudder in first gear when cold (whole car shakes), very weak brakes even with upgraded rotors and pads, clutch pedal squeak, scratched up instrument cluster, high pressure fuel pump whine, noisy windows, sound from gas pedal when under heavy acceleration on freeway, howling noise from rear differential, now my suspension is creaking too. Two dozen visits to local dealers, almost every time everything is normal or operating properly...they refuse to fix anything. Toyota and their dealers are inhuman monsters, I will never buy another Toyota and I tell everyone I meet to stay away from all Toyotas!