Used 2016 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 246 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Nice Truck, Looks Good
By Charles Olson

2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

The Tacoma is a pretty nice small truck. Towing capacity is only 6500 pounds (very small trailer), hauling capability is good and the rear seats are not all that comfortable. The technology offered is some of the best. Price is reasonable, Tacoma's hold their value. Not a really comfortable truck but the four-Wheel drive works well and traction control helps.

Taco lover
By James

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

To be honest I didn't like the truck at first it shifted constantly called the dealership and they fixed the issue this was at around 10,000 miles. The truck has ran great since. The truck is a beast on the beach, in mud, or snow. I have put 66,000 miles on the truck and have keep it up to date on maintenance, and haven't had any issues. The Navigation system is in my opinion great compared to other vehicles that I own. The original tires that come with the TDR Off Road package lasted 55,000 miles I replaced them with a more aggressive all terrain tire much better traction. Over all this is the best truck I have owned and I will buy another Tacoma when the time comes. This tuck can be a daily driver or go off the grid and have fun hard to beat it in my opinion.

Good, could have been great.
By Justin

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Hands down, the best option for a midsize truck. Still, I've had some issues with my '16. First, it shifted poorly right off the lot. Dealership (Jeff Wyler) told me everything was normal and just needed break in. I finally googled symptoms and found many people were finding their '16 Tacomas with towing package were delivered with low transmission fluid levels. Took several more trips to the dealer before they would check the level. Of course they found it to be a quart low but at that point I had close to 10k. The dealer/toyota would not extend the warranty. The other major issue I've been dealing with is a loud, but admittedly intermittent, rattle from somewhere along the exhaust path. The truck has been at the dealer several times and they always say they can't get it to make the noise. They won't remove the exhaust to diagnose unless they hear the rattle. Other than those issues, my only gripe is the entune media system. It's archaic. They have to realize they are losing customers to Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon for this.

Nothing but tacoma for me
By Marvin

2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

High price but compared to other trucks worth the money

Great vehicle for a love/hate relationship
By Scott

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I waited 18 months before reviewing my 2016 Tacoma to be totally fair. First, the good: It has a great design, a little more aggressive looking than the gen 2 (I was a gen 2 owner for 7 years). The interior is laid out much better, it needed an update badly. The same tight, truck ride is is still there which is a plus for me. "Car" seat position which I don't like but I was prepared for that. I have the off-road which has added many 4x4 extra goodies including "crawl" and various traction options based on terrain. Off-road capabilities and clearance are still top-notch. I particularly love the newer sport shifting mode with the automatic....and you're going to need it, because... The bad: The engine, oh, the engine. Why the engineers decided on this anemic 3.5 Atkinson cycle engine is beyond me. The old 4.0 liter was vastly better. This thing upshifts too quickly only to immediately downshift again at the slightest grade. To avoid it, you have to use sport mode, the ECT button, or drive it HARD, or a combination of all 3. So, any gain in mileage is immediately lost. Plus, when the engine switches from Atkinson cycle to Otto (normal) cycle, it feels like a "shift" but it's not the transmission. So it can feel like you have 12 gears and not 6. If you are at all sensitive to power bands, this truck will drive you nuts. I've learned, reluctantly, to live with it. Really drive this thing before you buy it. My other gripe is a come-and-go buzz in my left front tweeter. They'll never find it without ripping the entire dash apart, so, again, I live with it. Lastly....drum brakes in the rear, still?? Toyota claims it's a better off-road choice. I call BS. Bottom line, a great truck but not without some pretty major quirks. Choose wisely.