Used 2016 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 248 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

As a truck this is a great car
By Smoke

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Excellent in every aspect except the transmission. The transmission is fine as long as you do not put any kind of load in or behind this truck. The transmission continually shifts up and down on all but the slightest hills, even unloaded. I have towed my ultralight trailer (20 foot Rpod) which weighs 2950lbs un-loaded. I add about 450 to 500lbs when using for camping. This includes water tank, 25gal, 2 holding tanks 20 gals and food/clothing/incidentials. I estimate the total weight loaded at about 3500lbs. The Tacoma tow rating is 6600lbs. My truck must be set in the manual shift position in 3rd and 4th gear in order to tow my trailer on flat freeways. On hills the transmission must be in manual position and again 3rd and 4th gear. I can not comprehend the possibility of towing 6600lbs. The engine is pretty good but could benefit the addition of a turbo. All in all a very well built and well equipped vehicle. It simply has a less than stellar transmission. My rating of 3 is purely based on my dissatisfaction with the transmission.

Nice Truck, Looks Good
By Charles Olson

2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

The Tacoma is a pretty nice small truck. Towing capacity is only 6500 pounds (very small trailer), hauling capability is good and the rear seats are not all that comfortable. The technology offered is some of the best. Price is reasonable, Tacoma's hold their value. Not a really comfortable truck but the four-Wheel drive works well and traction control helps.

Taco lover
By James

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

To be honest I didn't like the truck at first it shifted constantly called the dealership and they fixed the issue this was at around 10,000 miles. The truck has ran great since. The truck is a beast on the beach, in mud, or snow. I have put 66,000 miles on the truck and have keep it up to date on maintenance, and haven't had any issues. The Navigation system is in my opinion great compared to other vehicles that I own. The original tires that come with the TDR Off Road package lasted 55,000 miles I replaced them with a more aggressive all terrain tire much better traction. Over all this is the best truck I have owned and I will buy another Tacoma when the time comes. This tuck can be a daily driver or go off the grid and have fun hard to beat it in my opinion.

Good, could have been great.
By Justin

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Hands down, the best option for a midsize truck. Still, I've had some issues with my '16. First, it shifted poorly right off the lot. Dealership (Jeff Wyler) told me everything was normal and just needed break in. I finally googled symptoms and found many people were finding their '16 Tacomas with towing package were delivered with low transmission fluid levels. Took several more trips to the dealer before they would check the level. Of course they found it to be a quart low but at that point I had close to 10k. The dealer/toyota would not extend the warranty. The other major issue I've been dealing with is a loud, but admittedly intermittent, rattle from somewhere along the exhaust path. The truck has been at the dealer several times and they always say they can't get it to make the noise. They won't remove the exhaust to diagnose unless they hear the rattle. Other than those issues, my only gripe is the entune media system. It's archaic. They have to realize they are losing customers to Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon for this.

Nothing but tacoma for me
By Marvin

2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

High price but compared to other trucks worth the money