Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:
12345...45

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

I can't believe how bad the gas mileage is on this truck.

nycbugkiller, 12/09/2010
2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 78,000 miles used in 2008. I have to say it is very reliable and it starts every time I try and fire it up. Of course it bounces all over the road like a typical small size truck does on bumpy roads. I just bought new Monroe shocks and struts that have to be installed. I'll see if that changes the ride. Regardless, when I first got it I was getting 16mpg. Don't ask what happened but I am at 142,000 miles and for some strange reason, I am now getting like 13. I have changed the spark plus, got a new air filter, new tires, I keep the air in the tires at the right poundage and I still can't understand it. And it's a 4 cylinder.

3.63 out of 5 stars

A little truck that gets job done

DXL, 06/28/2004
2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The cab is a too small for big people. Feel tired driving long distances since the seat is not comfortable, especially if without a speed control. Small engine offers good fuel economy, but the trade off is poor accelloration. Most of my driving is on freeway. It achieves 31 mpg if I remove the tailgate and drive @70mph. 60mph gives 35mpg with no load. In town driving gives 33mpg (this is just for me because I normally drive at above 45mph for 20 miles each weekday without many stops.) I travel about 700miles each weekend. So far I didn't have any problem at all for 78000miles. I do the routine maintinance and are very careful about fluid levels, etc.

Everything I needed...

TacoTruck, 11/07/2005
2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a base 2wd Taco with Clock and enhancement pk. as the only options. This truck was exactly what I was expecting - no frills transportation with hauling capability, my 88 Civic with a picup bed basically. I get around 30 mpg on the highway, can haul mulch and mountain bikes, evan occasionally pulling a trailer for short distances. Resale value seems extrmemly high. Reliability wasn't what I was expecting from a Toyota, however as it was in the shop 5 times for coil packs and alignment. Also, the Wrangler HP tires are DANGEROUS in the wet - can't wait to replace. I added an OEM bedliner and CD/cassette purchased from online auctions, which really increased the value of the vehicle to me

Very Dependable!

Hunter, 01/07/2010
2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great truck! I chose to buy the smaller Tacoma with the 2.4 4-cyl for better gas mileage. I calculate my mpg at every fill-up and consistently get 22-23 mpg. This includes 50%hwy/50% city driving. I am pretty easy on the pedal so that makes a difference. The auto trans is a little sluggish in city driving. It is geared pretty low so it can pull what it's rated for. I just wish it had a little more "get- up." Extended cab was not made for people. It is best for storing tools or groceries. I hate that I have to sell it but with a growing family it doesn't have enough room. This truck has really held its value!!

GREAT LITTLE TRUCK!

Jar-Head!, 09/16/2004
4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I finally decided to get rid of my 94 Toyota Pickup Truck (135,000 miles on it) and upgrade to something a bit nicer. I had to go with another Toyota truck - my 94 was just so good to me and really did hold its value - even with the high mileage. I wanted to wait for the new and redesigned 05 Tacoma but figured that the current model has been battle tested (something that new vehicles can only claim after being around for a few years). I really wanted a 4-door but was turned off at first when I found out that they only came with automatic transmissions. After a test drive I changed my mind. Bottom line - it's a very solid truck that will last!

12345...45