Used 1990 Toyota Supra Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Supra for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

1987-1992 Supra: Be a mechanic or have lots of $

Bru, 09/26/2015
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

If you are considering a MKIII Supra, drive the car and if it makes a lot of gurgling sounds out of coolant overflow tank after stopping, the head gasket is leaking. Check under the oil cap for grey sludge. That means the rings are worn or coolant is getting into the oil. Look in the overflow tank for oil also. Its best if you are mechanically inclined as maintenance will be costly. Be ready, this car eats $100 bills and and just says... more. After the mechanical issues are sorted, its a great car to drive. You can put your arm upright on the window sill without being cramped like in a newer FR-S or even a MKIV 93-98 Supra. Its got a lot of premium features, especially the Turbo model with the full sport package. I have been driving the same Supra for 25 years. I can't find a car I like better. The down sides are that its a bit heavy (3,600 lbs) for the horse power and uses gas (premium) 16 - 23 MPG. At about 15 lbs per hp on a stock CT-26 turbo, its a bit heavy. 10 lbs/hp or less would be ideal for a nimble sports car. Its more of a comfortable sport touring than a track car unless you make costly modifications. Some of the lines of the car remind me of a Porsche 928 or a 1980s Laser / Daytona. Parts are getting harder to find. I have 301K on mine with a total drive train overhaul in 2014. 2018 update: no issues except replacing the radiator after 31 years. 2019: Just normal maintenance. I found brake calipers, a trunk area carpet, a leather wrapped parking brake lever out of a 54K miles 88 Supra in like new condition, SWEET! 2020 update: Since the release of the MK5 (BMW) Supra, Toyota has come up with a program and a website for people with vintage Supras (MK3 & MK4) to apply for parts to be reissued, depending on demand. We'll see what comes of that. 2021 update: Toyota has reissued a few token parts but not as many or the ones I would like such as a 87-88 maroon driver side door belt molding. I spent $1,000 on a new set of tires and rims courtesy of the first stimulus check. Looking good and no major mechanical issues to date.

Toyota Supra MA70

Shlongor, 12/16/2003
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

There is almost nothing bad about this car. The speed, dry-road handling, braking and style is just amazing. It is also very easy to upgrade for performance. I must correct those of you who have commented on the bad head gasket. It can survive ~350HP if you retorque the headbolts and it wasn't abused.

The Japanese Aston Martin

beltonf, 08/16/2003
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I just love this car! Stylish without being 'over the top'. Good handling, comfort and ride without being irritatingly oversharp, bumpy and twitchy. Relaxingly roomy with great luggage capacity. IT SEATS 4! Ultra quiet and smooth when accelerating hard. It is a quality car that happens to cost very little for what it delivers - a lot of bangs for the buck.It is a Grand Touring car rather than a serious sports car. It has a timeless understated elegance that will/has not dated as fast as others.

Sweet

Frank Hoegen, 02/29/2004
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is the greatest japenese sports car ever made i gave it all tens and quite frankly it deserves them.

My First Supra

Dc POwer, 09/08/2004
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I just Bought this supra and wanted one for a long time.. it is all that i expected it to be. Very Heavy Car, smooth ride and All the power you need is there when you need it. over all. i i am very pleased and happy with my purchase.

Head Gasket

JohnnyQuest, 12/14/2002
2dr Hatchback

I've had to replace the head gasket TWICE in 4 years! This has caused me to replace the clogged catalytic converter and the exhaust, muffler, etc. Toyota should be sued over the faulty engine design of it's 3 liter engines!

I love my supra

Chris Cramer, 05/14/2005
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

The mark 3 supra is an amazing performer for a small price. personally, I use this car is a daily driver and weekend warrior (at the track). I have to say that I am very satisfied with not only the performance, but the level of comfort this vehicle offers. Pressing the gas pedal anywhere above 3000 rpm gives you a nice kick in the pants as the car begins to accelerate. The interior included such features as a 10 way electronically adjustable driver seat (including lumbar). If you buy the targa (sport roof) model, it is quite pleasant to remove on nice spring or summer days.

1990 Base Automatic

strungout, 01/07/2011
2dr Hatchback

One of the nicest cars I've owned, rivaling my Lexus LS 430 in many areas and exceeding it in performance, fun-to-drive, and styling. No problems in 21 years and still looks and drives like new. It has been called the best car Toyota ever made. I recall some car mag saying something like "if you want performance and comfort, buy the Supra, otherwise the Porsche 928 will do." The car has gotten as high as 28/20 highway/city and averages 24/19. A head-turner still, it will carry 2 bicycles and camping gear for a 3-week trip. Is anyone looking for an 18,000-mile LS 430?

great car

catdog, 04/04/2002
2dr Hatchback

great car with great options and cool ajustable air shocks

fast, fun to drive, and affordable

imprttunr, 05/03/2002
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

A great car, that in its day was $22,000 and now you can get it for around 6-7Gs. still surpasses new cars in acceleration, sporty look, and cool adjustable air shocks. Reliabillity is great and you will definately get your moneys worth out of this car and mileage. have owned 4 supras, one of each generation, and have loved them all.

dreamcar

mich, 10/15/2002
2dr Hatchback

fantastic coupe, plenty fast w/ natural aspiration, blast to drive, yet comfy for a long road trip. reliable? you bet. 26 mpg hwy ok for the power provided. 5sp manual revs a bit high on long freeway drives (well over 3500 rpm at 80 mph).

'90 Supe non-turbo to turbo swap

X-One, 10/18/2002
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Very quick car, and fun to drive despite its weight. Loaded with luxury features, too. Everything about the car is great untill it comes to the weak factory equiped head gasket. Swap it out for a metal one before it blows and your set.

My car

steve-o, 10/03/2002
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Great car, never any problems, runs great.

gasket

neretvanac, 09/29/2003
2dr Hatchback

I just got this car a couple of weeks ago. I've driven supra's before and have nothing but good words for it. The interior features are great, love the targa top, and just overall a fun ride. However, the headgasket on mine just blew, and when I went to fix it, we found a cracked cylinder head. I hope this doesn't cost too much cause I really like my car, and wouldn't want to be turned off by the repair costs.

performance

modified supra, 05/12/2003
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

i have no complaints from my turbo supra. i LOVE it. the FACTORY headgaskets can be re-torqued for reduced risk of blowing. stock boost definitely doesnt pose a problem. im running a steel gasket with a garret 62-1 modified ct-26 turbo ad arp bolts. i push 350+ bhp out of my car and nothing less than a t/a or a z28 is a challenge. cobras neednt even bother applying ;) mods cost $1300 list price. did the gasket myself.

Awesome car

sv, 02/21/2003
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I love the car, where else can you get all this power with comforts that most cars today dont offer, heated mirrors, 12 way adjustable seats, adjustable suspension and automatic climate control cant beat that!!

My car

Steve-o, 10/03/2002
Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Great car, never any problems, runs great.

51050